Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove plastic chrome wheel cladding

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Trophey Truck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove plastic chrome wheel cladding

Need advice on how to remove the chrome plastic cladding from my stock factory wheels. The plastic covers the Aluminum cast wheel and is obviously glued on. The wheels are on a 06' Dodge Ram SLT 2500, 4x4, Diesel. I tryed heating the plastic to loosen the glue but no good.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh boy, I have noo idea, i was looking at this at the dealer the other day and was wondering how to get it off... maybe you have to remove the tire from the wheel?

I have no idea though...

Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Trophey Truck
Default The answer to removing plastic cladding...

*Remove the wheel
*Heat the edge of the wheel from the back side, concentrate on a single area, use industrial dryer/heater.
*while wheel is upside down push the spot that has been heated, the cladding will have to be pryed off from this point, obviously use a flat crow bar with padding on it like thick tape, so you don't scatch the wheel!
*Now comes the fun part, removing the adhesive, I tryed several adhesive removers, from goof off to industrial linoleum remover, the only thing that worked was Aluminum aircraft paint and decal remover from Kragen. If you are interested, can email me for the name, I cannot think of it at this time. Several applications were needed after sitting on wheel for 10 minute increments and washing in between applications...
*The result was worth the whole weekend of work... to reveal those really great looking Aluminum wheels, I then painted my plastic caps a flat black!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
ramman8

i cant get the tires off the truck , do i have to remove the chrome plastic first or is there a special wheel lock? its on my 2008 ram 1500 slt cre cab 4x4 big horn . thank you

Quick Reply: How to remove plastic chrome wheel cladding