Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing a stuck aluminum wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:19 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Removing a stuck aluminum wheel.

In another thread, I mentioned getting a stuck aluminum wheel off a truck. This is a little trick I learned when working on pre-1965 Mopars. It's similar to the way to remove a brake drum. Aluminum wheels will weld themselves to the steel brake drum or rotor center. Removing a wheel that has been on there a while is usually done with a large hammer. I don't like to do this as it can damage a wheel or tire cording. One way is to loosen the lugs nuts about two turns. No more. A low speed, turn the steering in wide curves. This will usually pop the wheels off. It runs the risk of damaging the studs so I don't care for it. The way I prefer is to loosen the lug nuts and wiggle the vehicle sideways. Eventually, you'll hear a pop. This is the wheel coming loose. You can then raise the vehicle and remove the nuts. No need for 220 pounds of raw muscle, sinew and bone (well, in my case, 220 pounds, period.) Just raise it and remove the nuts and then the wheel. You have the weight of the vehicle working with you. When you reinstall the wheel, put a VERY thin film of grease on the wheel mounting surface where it meets the steel brake parts. This prevents electrolysis welding the parts together.

Quick Reply: Removing a stuck aluminum wheel.