Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires with Removed Studs Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 01:02 PM
rnet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires with Removed Studs Performance

I would like to remove Studs from my new Toyo OBSERVE G3-ICE 19 inch.
Anybody has ever tested Winter Tires with removed studds during winter?
Any performance / security impact?
Drivers who went through a driving experience with removed studs in winter conditions please share your experience.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by rnet
I would like to remove Studs from my new Toyo OBSERVE G3-ICE 19 inch.
Anybody has ever tested Winter Tires with removed studds during winter?
Any performance / security impact?
Drivers who went through a driving experience with removed studs in winter conditions please share your experience.

You'll lose grip on ice, but that's about it. Are you planning on pulling the studs yourself? They are NOT easy to either put in or take out. Unless your state bans them, I'd leave them in.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:41 PM
rnet

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
You'll lose grip on ice, but that's about it. Are you planning on pulling the studs yourself? They are NOT easy to either put in or take out. Unless your state bans them, I'd leave them in.
The studs are forbidden in our underground parking. So I have to get rid of them. My Toyos are factory studded. I have talked to one retailer and he is caussios with removing them because he is afraid to damage the tires. Anybody has experience with removing studs from factory studded tires?

Old 11-20-2020, 06:10 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by rnet
The studs are forbidden in our underground parking. So I have to get rid of them. My Toyos are factory studded. I have talked to one retailer and he is caussios with removing them because he is afraid to damage the tires. Anybody has experience with removing studs from factory studded tires?

They have a flange inside to keep them from coming out. My inner cheapskate hates to say this, but you'd probably be better off to replace the tires with non-studded winter tires. I run M+S tires year 'round and generally don't have trouble.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:52 AM
JMacLeod

I think there are a lot of guys that always drive without studs due to their roads, sometimes it is safe and you don't need them to drive safely because it is safe like that anyways. But if you're in a snowy and icy location, then you need to put them on because you can have more problems. First it is dangerous and you need to protect yourself and people from your car. Second you can have a charge from the police for not respecting the rules. You can check more info on https://completecar.ca/tire-reviews/best-winter-tires they know much more about such things and I'm sure you'll find something useful for yourself.

Last edited by JMacLeod; 02-16-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:44 AM
nialsens
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What wheels and tires will your Dodge run on this winter season?

Quick Reply: Winter Tires with Removed Studs Performance