1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Does anyone have a transmission oil temperature lamp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Does anyone have a transmission oil temperature lamp?

I am looking at the factory service manual for my 92, and the wiring diagrams show a "transmission oil temperature lamp" as being included on the streering column cover. This confuses me as I have never noticed such a lamp on my truck. Was this an optional component?

Also, wiring diagram AN 27 (service manual page 8W-64) shows that this temperature lamp is tied to the ignition 12 volt feed on the same circuit as pin 6 of the overdrive switch. And this seems to be connected to a second bulb inside the OD switch, and after that, it looks like it is connected to pin 10 of the SBEC (computer). Is pin 10 a sense or a send pin? What controls the illumination of the second lamp in the OD switch? What's goin on with that tranny oil temp switch? I can't see how this is working...

Happy Easter everyone

Old 04-22-2014, 01:35 AM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Bump... Does anyone have the slightest clue what I'm talking about? Is there such thing as a trans oil temp lamp on the steering column?? Or is this a dodge screw up?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It was only for trucks with the factory snow plow package. It could be added in, but all that work only for a light rather than a gauge. If you really want it get an aftermarket setup, there are some all in one universal kits with a gauge and sensor and all. www.summitracing.com

Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Crazy,

Thanks for the help on the snow plow package, that really makes sense now. And thanks again for moving the thread.

After more staring at the service manual, and a trip out to the truck parked at the curb, I figured it out. The illumination shown in the block diagram tied to the dimmer voltage is for the green "OD" lettering over top of the button. Pressing the switch grounds out Pin 10 of the SBEC, which is a "sense" or input. The SBEC then grounds Pin 37, which provides a path for current to flow through the lamp in the button, which lights up orange.

The 12V provided for this lamp from the instrument cluster is only coincidentally on the same branch as the transmission oil temperature lamp. I had been looking at it trying to figure out how that oil temp lamp circuit influenced the overdrive. It does not.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a transmission oil temperature lamp?