1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

nightmare '93 5.2 auto/2wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:14 PM
regret
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nightmare '93 5.2 auto/2wd

after having my ecm rebuilt, the technician stated that the ignition coil driver was being damaged by a component in my electrical system. What circuit or circuits does this driver involve. I need to track down the culprit before this rebuilt ecm dies of the same fate.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by regret
after having my ecm rebuilt, the technician stated that the ignition coil driver was being damaged by a component in my electrical system. What circuit or circuits does this driver involve. I need to track down the culprit before this rebuilt ecm dies of the same fate.
Could have been just the components of the computer itself suffering from old age.
A question back to you/who rebuilt the computer? ?? I just sent mine out for the same thing, that goes to my 01 Durango.

Back to your issue I recently bought a new to me 92 Dakota to replace my recently totalled '93.this one is also a 318club cab like the 93 was.
The little used car lot that I got it from had replaced the computer on it to cure a dieout issue. It had a miss on #6 when I got it, the first thing I did to it that same day was a full tune up with all Premium NAPA ignition parts. Still there. So I checked the codes and got one for the #6 injector driver. I swapped in a known good injector on #6, no change. So I plugged in the computer that I saved from my 93wreck and have put over 2000 miles on it in the 2 weeks since and it has not missed a beat. That included a 1200 mile 4 day vacation out of state, 3 days after I got the truck!!!
So I dropped the "new" computer that the car lot put in back to them so they could warranty it with the parts house that it came from for a spare on the shelf.

Last edited by volaredon; 06-01-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: nightmare '93 5.2 auto/2wd