1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

89 Dakota rear differential abs sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:33 PM
aliengenius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 89 Dakota rear differential abs sensor

My father in law has a 1989 Dakota 3.9L and his ABS and Brake lights are on and his Speedometer doesn’t work. I did some reading and found out that it is the rear differential abs/speed sensor. He got a new one and when I went to put it in I noticed that the plug leading out of it was corroded and broken, and when I followed that wire I also noticed that the pigtail that it connected to, was also corroded. The truck has well over 250,000 miles on it but he loves it and just put a whole mess of new parts in it. but anyway he went to the dealership and asked about the wire and the pigtail and they said it was discontinued, and no auto parts store carries it, and I have looked all over online and could not find anything except what could be the pigtail, but I would still need the wire that goes from the sensor to that pigtail. Does anyone have any idea what the name of this wire is, or where I can get one.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have pictures?

When I did my axle swap to a 2001 corporate 9.25 inch, I thought the 6 year newer ABS sensor would give me problems, but my ABS system talks to it fine after I spliced the old connector onto the new sensor leads. Honestly, I don't think it will be a big deal to fix from my experience messing with that sensor, but I'm having trouble picturing what your trying to say.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 07-01-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Ive got a parts truck, and wont be using that piece. If you can get me a picture of what exactly you need I can ship it to you for a small fee. Probably easier than searching the net for hours.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:07 AM
aliengenius

I will try and get pictures up by the end of the day.

When I did my axle swap to a 2001 corporate 9.25 inch, I thought the 6 year newer ABS sensor would give me problems, but my ABS system talks to it fine after I spliced the old connector onto the new sensor leads. Honestly, I don't think it will be a big deal to fix from my experience messing with that sensor, but I'm having trouble picturing what your trying to say.

When i get the pictures up and if i can splice it, that would be good, but if not then i will most likely take sksyhark186 up on the offer

Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 PM
aliengenius

Here are the pictures that i promised you, any solutions to the problem would be greatly appreciated. i need these 2 pieces because as you can tell from the pictures they are both broken

Thank you in advance for the help

The wire from the sensor (connector on left and also broken) to the pigtail (connector on right)

Close up of connector to pigtail on chassis

Close up of connector to the abs/speed sensor on the differential (what its suppose to look like)

(2 above) pictures of the pigtail that the first wire connects into

Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks to me like the left pin is broken off in the 2nd picture? If thats the case, you can either get a new connector from a donor truck or don't use the connectors and solder or crimp the wires together.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
aliengenius

i can solder them, im not sure if that wire (picture 1) has anything electrical in it, such as a risistor or something. but yes i can solder it and also in the connector in picture 3 is broken, so thats the other problem. if anyone has that wire, (i dont need the pigtail any more (last 2 picture)) let me know a price and maybe we can work something out, i live in east stroudsburg PA 18302

Quick Reply: 89 Dakota rear differential abs sensor