1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

2 Tone anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Lanse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Tone anyone??

Hey guys...

So, im thinking of painting my 96, which is an extended cab short bed, and im really liking the idea of a two tone finish, mostaly red, but with greyish trim and stripe up the hood...

Ive been looking around, and havent been able to find a picture of a truck like this... Does anyone here have one??

Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
csam
Amateur

I have a '92 that is red with a white two tone down the side. No stripe. I have seen it with silverish down the side and it looked good. Go for it. Doing a two tone with a hood strip might be a little much, but that is purely a matter of my taste, and there is where I am told, I fall short.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
dakota_pwn

i dont have two tone but this is what a stripe looks like

Name:  hood.png
Views: 360
Size:  445.2 KB

Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everybody is going to have their own opinion, so it just depends on what looks good to you!

Personally, I'm not a fan of 2 tone paint jobs. I do like accent stripes, but not a full on 2 tone paint job.

If you want to send me a high-res picture of your truck, and an idea of what colors (specific shades) and where you want them, I'll photoshop it for you.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Bump
Veteran

I like 2 tone, but only if its top and bottom. Center stripe on the side really dates a vehicle IMO.

I am repainting mine all black just so I dont have to paint jambs and under hood, but if I were going with a full paint job it would be 2 tone like these: (couldnt find anything but lowered trucks with the paint I like I guess...)

Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

I myself like the solid color with pinstripe like my truck has. I think it looks sharp, especially with the trim and fender flares I have.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bump
I like 2 tone, but only if its top and bottom. Center stripe on the side really dates a vehicle IMO.

I am repainting mine all black just so I dont have to paint jambs and under hood, but if I were going with a full paint job it would be 2 tone like these: (couldnt find anything but lowered trucks with the paint I like I guess...)

I just finished up a project on an 01 ram which is actually 3 tone. i haven't posted it because i'm waiting to get the pics of it completed. I have a feeling ill be waiting awhile. I have seen lots of 1st gens with 2 tone that look awesome. IMO one of the best ways to do a 2 tone is just to work off the body lines especially on more modern contoured bodies. it does take some thinking to get it to look good if your going with custom and you need to pay a quality shop but the pay off is turning heads and maybe even picking up some chicks, so for the $ it's worth it in the end.

Quick Reply: 2 Tone anyone??