1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

those who have put a 5.2 in a first gen.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default those who have put a 5.2 in a first gen.

I have found a 5.2 out of a jeep. Its complete with all accessories. My plans are to convert to a carb intake with a small 4bbl. (87 is carbed already) and install a standard hei distributor. I plan to keep the motor stock, may go with a set of shorty headers.
My question is, does anyone know of any problems using the jeep accessory drive and exhaust manifolds in the gen 1 truck? BTW its 4wd. Thanks

Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Your biggest problem in the 1987 will be fan to radiator clearance. That's not too hard to fix ... you can always pick up a 1991-1996 core support, grill, front bumper, frame extensions, and lights, and swap to get the room (moves the radiator forward).

Or do the Carroll Shelby trick - put a pusher in front of the radiator, with no condenser for the A/C (move it to under the bed, say, if you want to keep the A/C. Or someplace else where it's safer than under the bed in a rock crawler .. *grins* )

If it's got the bosses in the right place, you can use the 3.9 motor mounts.

(If it's an old enough motor, you may have some problems with the mounting, since the Dakota uses the bosses, older LA V8s used the elephant ears.)

Exhaust from the shorty headers will have to be custom made. I'm not sure that the Jeep headers will fit, or will not. Or, you can use 1991-1996 headers, they SHOULD fit since the only difference I've found is that later cabs have a bigger transmission tunnel.

RwP

Old 10-31-2014, 02:04 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're correct, converting a Magnum to carburetor will require several changes, including the distributor, intake manifold, coil, and yes, it may also determine how you set up your belt-driven accessories. For instance, a Magnum water pump turns in the opposite direction direction from an LA (pre-Magnum) motor.

The Jeep's exhaust exit is different than the Dodge's as I recall. The drivers side exhaust manifold may interfere with the starter because Jeeps have their starter on the passenger side. You might consider a set of 92-93 Dodge 5.2 exhaust manifolds. Those two years Dodge used a manifold with outlets that are about 1/4 inch larger and reportedly flow better. I have a set and they are definitely larger holes. They must come from a 92-93 magnum though:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
Your biggest problem in the 1987 will be fan to radiator clearance. That's not too hard to fix ... you can always pick up a 1991-1996 core support, grill, front bumper, frame extensions, and lights, and swap to get the room (moves the radiator forward).
Originally Posted by RalphP

;3205326

I really don't want to put the 91-96 front end on. I will, but as a last resort.

Or do the Carroll Shelby trick - put a pusher in front of the radiator, with no condenser for the A/C (move it to under the bed, say, if you want to keep the A/C. Or someplace else where it's safer than under the bed in a rock crawler .. *grins* )

The fans in between the radiator and condenser is what I want to try. Again, as a last resort, move the condenser.

If it's got the bosses in the right place, you can use the 3.9 motor mounts.

(If it's an old enough motor, you may have some problems with the mounting, since the Dakota uses the bosses, older LA V8s used the elephant ears.)

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. But I plan to use a 5.2 magnum motor. As I understand, it will bolt up to the current v6 mounts.

Exhaust from the shorty headers will have to be custom made. I'm not sure that the Jeep headers will fit, or will not. Or, you can use 1991-1996 headers, they SHOULD fit since the only difference I've found is that later cabs have a bigger transmission tunnel.

RwP
If I go with shorty headers, say for a 92-96 Dakota 5.2 motor, why couldn't I use a head pipe from the same year Dakota? I did not know the cabs had a bigger tunnel.

And thanks for your input!!

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 10-31-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

[QUOTE=ragged89;3205376]You're correct, converting a Magnum to carburetor will require several changes, including the distributor, intake manifold, coil, and yes, it may also determine how you set up your belt-driven accessories. For instance, a Magnum water pump turns in the opposite direction direction from an LA (pre-Magnum) motor.

I know I will have to get the carb intake, carb, dist, wires, etc. but what I am hoping is, I can use all of the jeep accessories, ie AC compressor, ps pump, alternator, etc. I hope to keep the serpentine belt system in place. I know there are some problems with clearance using the belt system from a full size truck.

The Jeep's exhaust exit is different than the Dodge's as I recall. The drivers side exhaust manifold may interfere with the starter because Jeeps have their starter on the passenger side. You might consider a set of 92-93 Dodge 5.2 exhaust manifolds. Those two years Dodge used a manifold with outlets that are about 1/4 inch larger and reportedly flow better. I have a set and they are definitely larger holes. They must come from a 92-93 magnum though:

Good point on the starter being on opposite side. If I have to buy manifolds, was not for sure if I would be better off to just go ahead and buy shorty headers. I am not having a lot of luck finding v8 Dakotas around here that are junked.

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I ended up buying one exhaust manifold from eBay and another from an online junk yard because I was having trouble finding 92-93 manifolds locally. Think I paid less than $100 for the pair, including shipping.

Quick Reply: those who have put a 5.2 in a first gen.