1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Radiator Swap problems....solution?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:51 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
I bet there's a Ford or GM part that'll fit right up; which one, I do not know.

Biggest problem with that Powermaster pulley is that you DO need some dish to it, just not as much as your current pulley has.

I'm going to bet that it turned out to be more economic to use a different water pump and pulley than to redo the motor mounts, the rear transmission mount, and the driveshaft, is why they used a different one for 1990. And that they had some left over for them to use in 1991.

Heh. The South Shreveport site for the local U-Pull-It chain ( uapi.biz ) has a 1991 5.2; their Alexandria chain has a 1991 5.2 also. I may stick my head in tomorrow afternoon if I can get someone to take the wife to her doctor's appointment Monday and see if they have the pulley. (I wouldn't use the old water pump off either; new ones are still too cheap for something that's as critical as the water pump is.)

RwP
Yeah, I was going to take my LA water pump and pulley into an AA or Oreiley's as they both have the 5.2 water pump, and start pulling GM/Ford Pulleys to see what would work. Problem is, the stores don't stock many pulleys...have to be ordered

I appreciate the help on the J/Y look see, but please take your wife to her doctor's!! The build can wait lol

Old 06-26-2016, 03:05 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Just for future reference, in case this thread helps anyone else out, I was able to find the spec's for the hub height for the two water pumps. The standard LA one is 5.56 inches. The 90 5.2L version is 3.86 inches. That's a savings of 1.7 inches and should be enough I think. So.....I have to find a pulley that is 1.7 inches shallower than the standard LA pulley to put the grooves in the same place.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:44 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Ford Windsor 351 looked promising but the bolt pattern spacing is wrong. Chrysler is 2.06" bolt circle and the Ford is 1.75".

But, I found that the Chrysler BB pulley might just do the trick. Same Bolt spacing, pilot diameter of 5/8". CVF website lists an overall length of 3.1" for the SB to 2" for the BB, but I have no idea what overall length refers to, as the SB pulley is deeper than 3.1". It's about 3.25".

Last edited by robertmee; 06-26-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:57 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
I appreciate the help on the J/Y look see, but please take your wife to her doctor's!! The build can wait lol
Oh, I was going to ask the stepson to take her *grins*

It's to the opthamologist / optometrist (the one that can do laser surgery, never can remember which is which) and it's to check how her diabetes is affecting her right eye, a scheduled appointment.

RwP

Old 06-26-2016, 04:11 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

so, from the above numbers I drew the arrangement up in CAD. Not sure it will work:

SB LA = 5.56 water pump, 3.1" pulley
BB with 3.86 water pump, 2" pulley

Yields the goove location with a difference of .6" too close to the block. So, I'd have to run a .6" spacer, which would eat back into my 1.7" of clearance, yielding only a clearance of 1.1". That might be too close

I need a pulley with depth of 1.4" to match up exact.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:31 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Think I found it...Same diameter, same bolt pattern and pilot diameter. And it's only 1.75" deep if the ebay seller is to be believed It's a part # 2202666 and it came on 87 D100 to D350 trucks. Pretty much came in any slant 6 vehicle up to 87. Plugging that into my cad drawing that reduces the spacer to 1/4" which spectre makes.

Last edited by robertmee; 06-26-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:46 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Well.....The Shelby water pump showed up today, and it doesn't fit. The lower radiator outlet is at a different angle and runs right into the timing cover mechanical fuel pump boss. Strange, because when I look up the timing cover for a 5.2L 90 Dak vs any 70-80 360 LA timing cover, they are exactly the same on rock auto. Pretty sure all LA V8 timing covers are the exact same, unless the shelby had something different. Looks like I might have to go with a cut down radiator and recess it into the core.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:22 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Thought I'd add for any future searches. The Shelby Pump also won't work because it's like the later magnum pumps and requires counter clockwise rotation. The LA pumps are clockwise.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:06 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Thought I'd add for any future searches. The Shelby Pump also won't work because it's like the later magnum pumps and requires counter clockwise rotation. The LA pumps are clockwise.
That's interesting, it would mean the accessories and belts on the Shelby are possibly different than any other LA motor thru '91.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ragged89
That's interesting, it would mean the accessories and belts on the Shelby are possibly different than any other LA motor thru '91.
True....if you look at the spec's from RockAuto, LA pumps say clockwise, and the Shelby Pumps say counter clockwise. I have both pumps in my hands, and the vanes are opposite for pushing the water. I've tried to find a clear picture of a Shelby engine belt configuration, but the AC compressor on a Shelby sits right on top of the water pump and you can't see anything.

Last edited by robertmee; 07-05-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator Swap problems....solution?