1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'91 Has a Bad Cough

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:55 PM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinSandidge
Hey yeah; i say lurch but yes it's like that! did you sort yours out?

Nope still in the works

Old 08-21-2016, 10:42 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokin1994
Nope still in the works
Mine too new local fuel pump is $150....assuming i need a fuel pump...then i have to pay my guy....my 94 quit as well so i'm down to riding my motorized bicycle....aargh

Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Mine too new local fuel pump is $150....assuming i need a fuel pump...then i have to pay my guy....my 94 quit as well so i'm down to riding my motorized bicycle....aargh
While you are waiting for your friend to have time to come over its worth it to check with junk yards about used pumps. I got one for $65 and it works great. They took it right out of the tank with gas still in it!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:32 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Oh boy; all this strife waiting on a pro and i may have fixed it my own self. After my battery acted like it was bad, i looked and noticed my two fan belts were very loose and i cleaned up a bit of corrosion on pos terminal and tightened the belts. right now i'm letting it idle and it seems to be running okay....could that simple thing have been my problem all along???

took a chance and ran it up and down the road a bit...seems okay except for some tailpipe smoke from it being set up....did i get lucky?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

With how flaky these ECUs can get on low voltage - yah, that may have been all it was.

Rule #1 in electronics - Check All The Connections. Rule #1a for vehicles - ESPECIALLY any rubber belts in the power feed. *grins*

RwP

Old 08-28-2016, 11:18 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Originally Posted by RalphP
With how flaky these ECUs can get on low voltage - yah, that may have been all it was. RwP

thats what I's hopin to hear; thanks. i never once heard a belt squeal...

Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

well; i drove it to get groceries and made it back no problem. just now i went somewhere and parked for 15 mins and left up the street, turned right and got caught at a red light on a hill. i put it in neutral and held the brake and it died on me....but it cranked right back up and i got home no problem.....

Old 08-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

well; i drove it to get groceries and made it back no problem. just now i went somewhere and parked for 15 mins and left up the street, turned right and got caught at a red light on a hill. i put it in neutral and held the brake and it died on me....but it cranked right back up and i got home no problem.....
Why did you put it in neutral?

I've read this but have forgotten, have you cleaned the IAC? What you're experiencing is exaclty what a dirty IAC does. Takes 10 minutes to clean. No need to buy new.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:55 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

[QUOTE=Toby Warford;3308875]Why did you put it in neutral?[/QUOTE

it's a strain on my back to sit there working the clutch and gas. i can put it in gear and take off without rolling back i had watched a good vid on cleaning the IAC so i'll have that done for sure...thank you!

Old 08-29-2016, 12:43 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

[QUOTE=I've read this but have forgotten, have you cleaned the IAC? What you're experiencing is exactly what a dirty IAC does. Takes 10 minutes to clean. No need to buy new.[/QUOTE]

The IAC on this 91 is different from the vids i've watched; the parts store has mine listed as a 'idle speed control motor'. they look different but my ISCM still has that same air in/out 'rod' right? My version could still be cleanable, yeah? Thanks Toby

Quick Reply: '91 Has a Bad Cough