1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'91 Has a Bad Cough

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:49 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
If there is a blue tinge to the smoke it might "just" be oil. Not a lot better but better.
Good point. And, if the smoke appears more so after it sits for a while it could be oil that's pooling in the cylinder(s). Leaking valve seals will due that.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ragged89
if the smoke appears more so after it sits for a while it could be oil that's pooling in the cylinder(s). Leaking valve seals will due that.

leaking valve seals is our guess as well and to be expected with a truck that just this year qualified for Antique Tags! I have a new fuel pump to install but just not convinced that is the problem. No point in my trying to drive it and chance getting stranded so at least i have my 'motorized' bicycle to ride!

Please list all causes for it stalling intermittently? My buddy says get a new gas cap??? surely not thanks

Old 09-25-2016, 01:07 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

It could actually be the gas cap - if it doesn't breathe properly, then the pump can stall as it tries to suck past the vacuum caused by no air entering the tank.

But I hates intermittents. I really do. I'd rather it die dead than be intermittent.

RwP

Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

i suppose i'll have to try and drive it around a bit with the cap loose just to prove that one Ralph

Old 09-25-2016, 11:34 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Usually, on an OBDII car, the venting is via the evap system; so the cap isn't as big a deal.

I don't think that's going to be your problem ... but it might be. (Could also be the phase of the moon - very, VERY low probability of that, though!)

I'll repeat, I hates intermittents. And I know you do too by now.

RwP

Old 09-25-2016, 05:00 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
Usually, on an OBDII car, the venting is via the evap system; so the cap isn't as big a deal.

I don't think that's going to be your problem ... but it might be. (Could also be the phase of the moon - very, VERY low probability of that, though!)

I'll repeat, I hates intermittents. And I know you do too by now.

RwP
Yeah that year model is vented through the evap cannister....fuel cap shouldn't be vented. But if it's a vent problem you might temporarily pull the small vent tube off the evap cannister from the fuel tank to rule out vacuum lock.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:31 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

I've still been nervous about driving it so i crank it and let it idle every day till my mechanic friend can get back over here. I hear y'all about the gas venting but why would my gas cap have four small holes running through the center metal part of the cap? thanks!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinSandidge
I've still been nervous about driving it so i crank it and let it idle every day till my mechanic friend can get back over here. I hear y'all about the gas venting but why would my gas cap have four small holes running through the center metal part of the cap? thanks!
The cap at this page is what the stock cap looks like. The stock cap has a tether that holds it to the truck.
https://www.carid.com/1991-dodge-dak...-20823335.html

Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
The cap at this page is what the stock cap looks like. The stock cap has a tether that holds it to the truck.
https://www.carid.com/1991-dodge-dak...-20823335.html

Just took another look and mine is indeed tied to the truck and the cap is all plastic. I am able to suck a little air through the center holes so my cap is likely not an issue. I found a fuel pump for 40bucks just in case. Hoping my mechanic gets back over here soon. thank you

Old 09-26-2016, 03:05 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Earlier, i ran it and let it idle and forgot about it so it sat there idling for 30mins or better and it never died in all that time. about 2 hrs after that, i nerved up and took it for a spin, got out on the main hyway and it died and couldn't start it by popping the clutch but was able to press my starter button and it started and i went on to the store and back with no more incidents...oh and i'd loosened the gas cap...gremlins i tell ya...Gremlins!

Last edited by KevinSandidge; 09-26-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: '91 Has a Bad Cough