1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

oil consumption??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:29 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Default oil consumption??

I have just checked my oil and it is barely touching the stick.
I had previously found oil in the plenum after the hughes kit. I put filters on the PCV and blow by hose and found the blow by hose lets oil past even with a new blow by valve. I also noticed the seal started leaking when I put that filter in. It never dripped before so I assume the filter is causing back pressure.
It didn't seem like much oil in the filter after 30 days as I checked the dip stick and it was fine three weeks ago. New oil/filter & flush in July I think. I have since done a 250 and a 350 mile road trip. The 350 mile trip was yesterday and it ran great better than it has in a while. I noticed the pressure seemed a bit high but nothing else was off.
Could blow by and the back pressure from the filter on the blow by hose that goes to the air cleaner really let that much oil out?

Old 10-27-2016, 05:09 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I added oil today and it only took 2 quarts to get it up to the top safe line. So just in case you are somewhere with no oil and find the oil low, oil barely touching the dip stick means you still have 3 quarts.