1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4X4 Lower control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I respect your drive to locate some universal parts that'll work off the shelf; nice of you to try to do that for the community.

My bit of OCD was unhappy when I couldn't find UCA poly bushings to match the lowers. The 2nd gen energy suspension ones dont fit tight enough for me to be comfortable. So I went with MOOG and just forgot about it.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM
cky4987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
I respect your drive to locate some universal parts that'll work off the shelf; nice of you to try to do that for the community.

My bit of OCD was unhappy when I couldn't find UCA poly bushings to match the lowers. The 2nd gen energy suspension ones dont fit tight enough for me to be comfortable. So I went with MOOG and just forgot about it.
Definitely man! I'm an IT technician by trade so being OCD is wired into my brain. I know it's not a super significant part, but given the simplicity of what it is, and then not being able to locate a suitable replacement just drives me nuts lol.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cky4987
Yep that's right. They no longer make them anymore. At one point in time they were a replaceable part, Part # 4322549 to be exact.

I believe this is correct and incorrect. When you google the part number, and go to the mopar site, they show this bushing, but it is the front of the lower control arm. The rear bushing is different.
Again, going from memory, The uppers and I think the front lower is the same as a 97. Its just the lower rear that has to be cut down, (just in length)
The factory design was a rubber bushing inside the rear of the lower control arm. The rubber was directly against the control arm, no outer sleeve like the uppers.
On a factory upper control arm, when replacing the bushing, it came with a outer metal sleeve and you pressed or drove it into the arm.
Even if you could find a replacement rubber only bushing of the exact factory size, both length and width, how would you field install it?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 PM
cky4987

Hey Guys,

Bit of an update. After contacting a bunch of different sources I think I've finally found the right guy to help. He sent me this email earlier today. He mistakenly referenced the upper control arm, but I sent him a reply explaining that it was the lower control arm and he said he can still help. Does anyone here have easy access to one to take a measurement of? whether on the vehicle or off? Please let me know. Honestly, if you have one available and aren't comfortable measuring I'd personally contribute my own money to whomever towards shipping it out to this guy. Let me know guys. Thanks!

Hello Brandon, Your email was forwarded to me, because I use to specialize in finding difficult parts like yours. I have worked with Energy Suspension and Prothane to find difficult applications, for over 30 years, I am semi-retired now. Oh, I used to own www.suspension.com. Sold it 3 years ago. I can remember working on finding the upper control arm bushings for the 1993 Dodge Dakota 4 x 4. I cannot find any notes telling me if we were successful. So, let’s start over. I believe we found the correct bushing in another set, probably a two wheel drive Durango, but cannot be sure without some vital information from you. Do you have an old upper control arm? If you do, I need the inside dimension of the upper control arm bushing outer shell. Do not press out the upper control arm bushing assembly. I want you to burn out the rubber or remove it some way, so you have a clean surface to accurately measure the inside diameter of the outer metal shell with a digital caliper and measure out to the thousandths of an inch. Like 1.386”.
Let me know if you can help.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:40 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

mine is in the truck, so not much way to measure. But, is he looking at poly bushings or rubber? If rubber, how will you press them in to the control arm? Poly, sure, they will work and as already stated, use a set for a 97 and just cut the length.

FWIW The uppers are easy to get in rubber, here is a set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mevotech-GK7...dW-1zB&vxp=mtr

Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 PM
cky4987

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
mine is in the truck, so not much way to measure. But, is he looking at poly bushings or rubber? If rubber, how will you press them in to the control arm? Poly, sure, they will work and as already stated, use a set for a 97 and just cut the length.

FWIW The uppers are easy to get in rubber, here is a set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mevotech-GK7...dW-1zB&vxp=mtr

He's looking at rubber. Apparently the process usually involves sticking the bushings in the freezer overnight and if you don't have access to a press (which obviously is most people) involves a couple of wrenches, bolt through the center, washers, and nuts. Some liberal amounts of lube and elbow grease and he said they'll slip right in.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:23 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Dont mean to be beating a dead horse here, but that is how I would put in a steel sleeved bushing, or if it was tight a poly bushing.
The rubber when pressed would expand in width.
Must be something here I am missing or I just dont understand.
Hope you get it to work though.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
cky4987

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Dont mean to be beating a dead horse here, but that is how I would put in a steel sleeved bushing, or if it was tight a poly bushing.
The rubber when pressed would expand in width.
Must be something here I am missing or I just dont understand.
Hope you get it to work though.
Just went back and re-read your postings from earlier. My bad for not paying closer attention. So you're sure there's no sleeve to it? I will closer at diagrams and check it out. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2017, 02:02 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Yes, there is no metal sleeve. The control arm is cast. I have this picture you can see. Sorry I dont have any better pictures.

Name:  20140804_153107_zps88f52719.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  62.1 KB

Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I used copper anti seize compound to lube the no sleeve LCA bushings I just replaced on my little Ram. I put it on the outer sleeve and the rod that goes through them. Very small amounts. I'm glad I decided to as it was very tight.