1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need help. 92 dakota gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 AM
Sefiero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. 92 dakota gremlins

I recently bought a 92 dakota sport 3.9 v6 5spd with 90,000 on it, here's the problems. I was told by owner that he received the truck from a relative that passed away and truck had sat inside a barn for a few years.. the new owner drove the truck but was having problems with it just dying and then starting when it wanted to... it was also blowing fuses as well . He thought fuel pump was going and installed new pump but dakota still didn't want to run. He left it sit 1.5 yrs till I bought it. I used spray start but didn't fire. I changed the cam sensor /hall effect and used spray start and it started to run then died and was the last time . It wouldn't fire any more after that one time. Got to looking on dash there was no check engine at all. Pulled ecm with one my friend had from a newer dakota but it was from a 3.9 but auto.... I now have a check engine light and it says code 11 45. 55. What should I do next ?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:50 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

With an auto ECU, the 45 can be ignored for now; that's a bad transmission solenoid error, according to http://www.dakota-truck.net/CODES/codes.html . 55 is "END OF CODES", so that's not a problem.

The 11 is.

It says the crank and/or cam sensor is bad, so if it's a Magnum (kegger style manifold, 6 fuel injectors) then I'd do the crank sensor also.

Plus, be sure to use Mopar parts; there's been a LOT of people who have had consistent problems with both, but switching back to Mopar parts fixes the problem.

RwP

Old 02-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Sefiero

Originally Posted by RalphP
With an auto ECU, the 45 can be ignored for now; that's a bad transmission solenoid error, according to http://www.dakota-truck.net/CODES/codes.html . 55 is "END OF CODES", so that's not a problem.

The 11 is.

It says the crank and/or cam sensor is bad, so if it's a Magnum (kegger style manifold, 6 fuel injectors) then I'd do the crank sensor also.

Plus, be sure to use Mopar parts; there's been a LOT of people who have had consistent problems with both, but switching back to Mopar parts fixes the problem.

RwP
thanks Ralph, what do you think of my computer not even showing a check engine light but when I installed my friends computer from another year it gave me a check engine light and codes? Does this mean my original computer is dead ?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:23 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It might be.

Could also be bad contacts; these trucks are old enough that some "gremlins" are fixed by removing/connecting things (science: Oxidation builds up on the contacts, removing/reconnecting wipes the contacts and polishes the oxidation off. It's not magic, it's SCIENCE!!!) So if you put yours back in it might work just fine now.

Also, did it not even give a "55" code when you did the key dance?

RwP

Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 AM
Sefiero

No it didn't give any codes with the computer it came with , in fact it didn't even light up the check engine light. Only when I plugged my finds computer from a newer dakota did it give me codes.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Sefiero

I called O'Reilly auto they can get me a ecm for about 170 don't need a core. Don't mind it if it woukd get my truck running, 90k original miles she should have a lot of life left. That or I'm selling it. Lol