1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

HVAC Heater Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:05 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HVAC Heater Valve

I'm confused (not the first time).

I need to install a Heater Valve I presume on my 90 vert engine swap. The one that was there is gone (remember I bought this truck in boxes).

I'm not reinstalling the A/C, but of course all the internal vacuum controls are there for an A/C if I decide to put in one in the future.

On Amazon, there are two choices of Four Seasons Valves. From Amazon, "The 74612 is for vehicles without Air Conditioning. The 74803 is for vehicles with Air Conditioning."

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

That seems to contradict Rock Auto which lists the 74612 as WITH A/C.

Best I can tell, one uses vacuum to bypass, one uses vacuum to not bypass...the vacuum hose comes from the interior of the truck. I understand that vacuum is applied when the A/C is on, so would that be bypass or non-bypass? I'm thinking "bypass" as that would be the action? Or is "non-bypass" the normal off state. The use of the terms is confusing.

So, which one do I need for my truck, where I have all the stock controls, but no actual AC compressor hooked up?

Or do I say screw it and just hook the hoses direct and plug this vacuum line

Last edited by robertmee; 02-25-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:15 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, you could just plug the line from within, and either use a hand valve, or just leave it straight.

RwP

Old 02-27-2017, 04:49 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Robert,

Mine is a 87 with factory air. When the control is turned to cool, there is vacuum on the line going to the water valve. With heat, no vacuum.
Also, mine has the orig. valve and on top is a chrysler number 4085474 30505

If there is anything else I could look at and tell you, let me know

Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Robert,

Mine is a 87 with factory air. When the control is turned to cool, there is vacuum on the line going to the water valve. With heat, no vacuum.
Also, mine has the orig. valve and on top is a chrysler number 4085474 30505

If there is anything else I could look at and tell you, let me know
Perfect....that's what I needed. Was able to get a car quest one and confirmed it passed water with no vacuum. Thanks!