1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Ethica19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD

my next question is, did you guys buy the cat back w/a few feet of pipe in font and back, or just the actual cat back. The price for the cat back alone is about 65 w/ pipe about 125. Just called another shop, they'll charge me 75 to put it in and another 125 for a flow master w/ a tip. Right now i'm waiting for the new transfer case to come in, old girl's on life support.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Ethica19
Rookie
Default RE: Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD

got the new transfer case in yesterday, the rebuild looks real good. I'm replacing the front and rear u joints when i get the truck back I also got all synthetic ATF for the TC, hope to make it last longer than the last.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
mopar moper

hey guys , ive got an 05 ram 1500 that clunks SOMETIMES when going from reverse to forward...after i start accelerating...and EVERY TIME after backing down the boat ramp , and starting off with boat in towe....its not the tranny clunking from being in a bind , it happens after the tires turn 2 or 3 rounds...i get no whine / roar / vibration on the highway , niether when accelerating or letting off the gas....no..chirping..like a u-joint would do { or has done in the past } ..i can however move the rear u-joint back and forth between the cups..just a little...should i be able to do that ?? my clunk is not in 4 wd , but 2 wd....im hoping its just u-joints probably not , with my luck.....going to try to get my mechanic to come get truck while i fish tomorow { im a charter guide } and replace u-joints...problem is , ive got 5 trips in the next 4 days , and hope it dont explode on the ramp before i can get it fixed......any advice would be appreciated....

Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the U-Joints or the Ring and Pinion.

Quick Reply: Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD