1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Oversize Caliper Bolts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Moparkyle
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oversize Caliper Bolts.

So I just did all 4 bj's and both inner tie rod's and a wheel bearing and front pads and rotors. As I was on the LAST side as I was taking the caliper off I noticed that there was almost nothing holding in the top caliper bolt so I went to Autozone and bought their oversize self-tapping slide bolt. As I was putting in the bottom bolt the old caliper bolt ate up all the threads so I AGAIN headed to Autozone for the bolt.

It seems to be holding great and both bolts are tight, I used loctite and used care not to strip them again.

I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with the oversize bolts, are they a reliable fix?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes and they work fine. If you have the issue again you can use the Heli Coil set as that was a TSB, however that is your last option after what you have done. After that you have to get a new steering knuckle.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Okay good that's what I needed to know. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

In the instructions it said it only recommended using the bolt with 1 hole and OEM on the other and I used it on both caliper holes. I guess 2 self-tappers beats 1 self-tapper and 1 stripped hole. But if you guys have used 2 self tapping bolts and have had success it puts my mind at ease a little.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

NO: 05-03-99
SUBJECT: Front Brake Caliper Mounting To Steering Knuckle Thread Repair
DATE: Apr. 23, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves repair of the threads on the steering knuckle or brake caliper mounting adapter that are used to install and retain the front brake caliper housing in its correct operating location.

DISCUSSION:
A Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Kit has been developed to repair stripped threads on the front brake caliper mounting attachment making it no longer necessary to replace the front steering knuckle/brake caliper mounting adapter when encountering stripped threads. The following information provides the repair procedure for using the Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Kit.

DIAGNOSIS:
Place the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.
Remove the front tire/wheel assembly.
Remove the brake caliper housing assembly by loosening the mounting bolts.
NOTE: IF HIGH TORQUE IS ENCOUNTERED DURING THE MOUNTING BOLT REMOVAL, IT IS LIKELY THAT THREAD DAMAGE WILL OCCUR OR HAS OCCURRED.

Remove the caliper housing assembly and hang the housing on the frame of the vehicle using an appropriate wire hanger.
NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW THE CALIPER HOUSING TO HANG BY ITSELF FROM THE BRAKE HOSE AS DAMAGE TO THE HOSE MAY RESULT.

If the vehicle has a bolt-on brake caliper mounting adapter, remove the adapter. If the brake caliper mounts directly to the steering knuckle, remove retainers on the wheel studs and remove the rotor.
Inspect the mounting bolts and knuckle threads for damage. If either is damaged, it is likely that damage to the other has occurred as well. If damage has occurred to the threads in the form of knicks, thread pulling, or cross-threading, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
AR (1) 05016155AA Kit, Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Includes:
23/64 Drill Bit
M9 X 1.25 Tap
Heli-Coil Installation Tool
Heli-Coil Tang Break-Off Rod
(25) M9 X 1.25 Stainless Steel Heli-Coils

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Using the 23/64 in. drill, drill through the brake caliper mounting attachment hole keeping the drillperpendicular to the knuckle.
Using the M9 X 1.25 tap, tap the drilled hole ensuring to tap the hole entirely through.
Install a Heli-Coil insert onto the installation tool (tool number 3747-9). Be sure the tang is properly engaged into the driving contour of the tool.
Install the Heli-Coil into the drilled/tapped hole by rotating the tool and exerting slight pressure onto the tool/Heli-Coil and into the drilled/tapped hole. Continue to rotate the tool until the insert is located 1/4 to 1/2 turn below the steering knuckle surface.
Back the Heli-Coil installation tool out of the installed Heli-Coil. Then, remove the tang from the Heli-Coil by breaking the tang off using the tang break-off tool. Place the break-off tool into the assembled insert until it rests on the Heli-Coil tang. Holding the tool squarely, strike the tool sharply with a hammer.
If the vehicle has a bolt-on brake caliper mounting adapter, install the adapter. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for information regarding proper brake caliper adapter mounting information. If the brake caliper mounts directly to the steering knuckle, install the rotor.
Install the caliper using new mounting bolts p/n 04886075AA in any location that had a Heli-Coil installed. Tighten the bolts to 30 - 35 N• m (22-26 ft. lbs.).
Install the tire/wheel assembly.
Lower the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Oversize Caliper Bolts.