1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Blower Motor Resistor: *** MUST READ!!***

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM
hipjake2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango Blower Motor Resistor: *** MUST READ!!***

As a former owner of a 2001 Durango, I came to love it I bought a second one. One of the only problems I had was this STUPID blower motor resistor switch!! Replaced one in my old Durango, I became a veteran of replacing it. The first time the HIGH setting stopped working and only operated in low. Well now, this time it went out on low and ONLY operated on HIGH. Not thinking much of it, I would get a replacement when I got around to it, since it was Thanksgiving night. I wasnt in as much of a hurry this time cause I could still use the heat to defrost the windows fine. . . . So we were at the in-laws, after a great Thanksgiving dinner, and I went out and let the truck heat up for the kids and wife. After getting everyone ready (about 10 min.)we returned to my truck only to find it completely filled with smoke and a heaping glob of plastic, on fire, laying on my floor mat.

Quickly grabbing the floor mat out of the truck, I realized how THANKFUL I was that night. It could have happened while driving, could have really burnt up my truck had we not came out of the house, or what if I had one of my kids in the truck while I ran back inside??

PLEASE GUYS.. Dont make the mistake I made. If this resistor is giving you problems... get it fixed RIGHT AWAY!!

I really hope DODGE reads these threads and gets their head out of their a$$ before someone dies!! <end of rant>

Name:  DSC00720.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  294.2 KB

Name:  DSC00722.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  200.6 KB

Name:  DSC00721.jpg
Views: 3371
Size:  187.3 KB

Now I am looking at $500.00+ To replace the Motor, resistor, wiring!!!

I dont understand how something so dangerous could NOT be listed as a recall. PERHAPS someone needs to die before DODGE will make a recall.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM
fxallen

Had many problems with this on my 01 Dakota. Changed the resistor out three times
until I realized it's the wiring harness going to the resistor that's the problem.
Dealer in my area has the retro fit harness kit for this. Ask at your parts counter and
get it and install it. Solves the problem, hopefully for good. Any one need some resistor blocks ? Have 3 spares in my tool box that I hope I'll never need again.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:13 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well yea... if you have a known electrical short and continue to run power through it, the plastics are very likely to melt and catch fire.

Sounds obvious but actually a great tip hipjake2. If someone has the failure, fix it and don't delay. 15 minutes and $35 just may save your vehicle from a total fire loss or worse.

IndyDurango

Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM
maxfly
Amateur

wow, from the looks of that thing your lucky it didnt catch the interior on fire! i agree this should be a recalled part. thats friggin dangerous.
someone seriously needs to create a DIY for replacing the harness if that is in fact the cause. then the DIY should be stuck ASAP.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Blower Motor Resistor: *** MUST READ!!***