1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter?

I have a 2000 dodge Durango slt 4.7 magnum v8 4x4 I recently have had some really vibrations with almost any acceleration. I too it to seats and they told me tie rods and an alignment and a balance. I replaced the tie rods and haven't had any other work done yet. It continued to vibrate badly. Then I was told the u joints may be out or dry but I took it to a shop and the mechanic told me they we're perfectly fine. I also have ha an inter mitten problem where the park , neutral and drive gauge on my cluster is digital and the light some times will not come On behind it. I'm not sure what to buy or do . I'm on a tight budget and am running out of options.what could it be?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004998
I have a 2000 dodge Durango slt 4.7 magnum v8 4x4 I recently have had some really vibrations with almost any acceleration. I too it to seats and they told me tie rods and an alignment and a balance. I replaced the tie rods and haven't had any other work done yet. It continued to vibrate badly. Then I was told the u joints may be out or dry but I took it to a shop and the mechanic told me they we're perfectly fine. I also have ha an inter mitten problem where the park , neutral and drive gauge on my cluster is digital and the light some times will not come On behind it. I'm not sure what to buy or do . I'm on a tight budget and am running out of options.what could it be?

Giving a accurate fix for you issues over the internet without seeing it in person would be really hard. However, i can offer this..

First, i would start by looking for a better mechanic. Sounds like hes taking random guesses and throwing parts at it (with your wallet of course).

Generally a vibration indicates something is loose. I would would check the following:

* Torque converter bolts
* Driveline bolts
* U-joints

Then I was told the u joints may be out or dry but I took it to a shop and the mechanic told me they we're perfectly fine.
How exactly did he determine they where "Just Fine"? Did the physically move the joints or just look at them? Often people just look at them and as long as there not showing signs of wear say there fine when there really worn.

I also have ha an inter mitten problem where the park , neutral and drive gauge on my cluster is digital and the light some times will not come On behind it. I'm not sure what to buy or do .
That is usually a bad range sensor on the transmission. Could also be a bad or corroded connection to the sensor... Either way the sensors are cheap and relatively easy to install.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

the mechanic physically checked the U joints im not sure if anything else was checked and the dealership i bought the car from less than a month ago sent it to a place called pro align the shop fixed the tie rod on the right side and left the boots off which even without a ton of back round i know thats not good so i drove it about a mile to sears and they told me the work was done terrably and that there were mechanic rags shoved every where under the truck? the vibrations have gone down but with acceleration (only while in drive gears) i do hear squeaks and some rattling. a new torque converter wherre i live and everywhere for the transmission i have is around $200 give or take. we dont have a sales tax here so it is better than other places i supose. the drivline seemed ok but im not sure what i should be looking for if its loose or anything. also the power of my vehicle has been signifcantly reduced in the last week or so. at 187000 miles i can expect some issues but this is a goose chase

Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Try removing the front driveshaft and drive the vehicle and see if the vibration is gone. We have had some problems with front driveshaft's. Also remove the rear driveshaft and check the pinion nut. Use a torque wrench and torque the nut to 100 foot pounds. The nut will use a 1 1/4 socket.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:52 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 master tech

Quick Reply: Torque converter?