1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

145K and Fuel Pump dies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM
lloydjv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 145K and Fuel Pump dies?

Yeah so driving into work here in North Texas this morning and the truck dies leaving a red light. I coast into the nearest parking lot and check around under the hood. Everything is fine and no codes present. Figured it was a glitch. Start her up again and get another 3/4 mile. Again accelerating away from a red light, she dies cold and once again able to coast into a nearby parking lot.

This time it wont start again although it cranks strong. Had the wife come to pick me up and had her turn the key with my ear to the tank. Nothing. Banged on the tank with my fist....turned key on....nice whir of the fuel pump......followed by what sounded like a busted chain saw starting in the tank. Engine ran briefly before idling down again to sleep.

I have no doubt its the pump, but what baffles me is that my truck only has 145K miles on it. Do you folks find they normally go out that early? Changed one recently on mom's Explorer but she had about 200K on hers.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it depends on the pump and the usage, and the hours spent running, if you did 145k around town miles w/ stop lights and she did over 200k highway miles maybe the hours on the pump are about the same.

unfortunately there is no fast and hard way to see predict when something like that will fail

Old 11-03-2014, 12:20 PM
lloydjv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At last i finally got the new one in Friday evening. Had the 'rango towed back to the farm 30 miles away for 84 bucks courtesy of GEICO. Had ordered the pump from an outfit in Dallas Thursday evening and it finally arrived just before dark Friday, but we got it installed.

Only issue was the replacement pump had a clip or adapter inside the electrical harness that we did not notice and it prevented the fuel gauge from registering. So yesterday morning we repeated the R&R and found the clip and removed it. All is well again and the truck runs like new again.

Quick Reply: 145K and Fuel Pump dies?