1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

new drum brake problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:37 PM
DurangoDan98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry new drum brake problem!!

thanks to the help of people on this forum and a Haynes manual, I was able to get the brake shoes and springs back together on my 98 durango 5.2L V8 magnum. when I put the drums on, they did not fit. I have looked into every avenue as to why they did not fit. adjustment wheel is all the way in, pads are on in the right configuration, etc. is there any reason on god's green earth why my brand new drums won't fit over the newly installed shoes? has anyone else experienced the same problem? HELP ME PLEASE!!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:40 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a pair of shoes from autozone that were too thick and I could barely get them on. Ended up having to file them down so they fit.

These are what the rear brakes should look like.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:12 PM
pkucan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job! Looks like you still have some threads showing on your star wheel adjuster. Probably could have compressed the shoes some more? I hate drum brakes.LOL

Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Those were the old ones before I took them off. The one wheel cylinder leaked and got brake fluid on the shoes (made them grab as soon as they touched the drum and try to lock the wheel up), so I had to change all the shoes. New ones didn't have any inward adjustment left when I put them on.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:51 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your new drums might be the wrong ones. Try installing the old drums and see if they will fit, then compare the two of them. Also check to see if your E-brake is on or needs the park brake tensioner assembly adjusted. Instructions are in the service manual.

Quick Reply: new drum brake problem!!