1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Wiring 2 Alternator's

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Beechee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring 2 Alternator's

I am in need of some expert advice. I have a 98 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 5.2l engine. I am adding a second alternator to supply my battery bank for my audio. I have the Alternator mounted and mounted another stabilizer pulley with new alternator.. Belt is running in middle of all the pulleys and it runs smooth and nicely. I installed a alternator that I got off of a 99 Durango at a pull-a-part. Along with the new alternator I installed a new BWD External Voltage Regulator and a refurbished battery. When I crank my Durango my added digital volt meter wired at the battery terminals says my volts are 25.6 severely overcharging my battery. Can anyone someone help me with the correct way of wiring the external regulator alternator and battery !! what I am or have done wrong so I can get this new power supply charging like it's suppose to. Thanks for any help..

Last edited by Beechee; 01-04-2017 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Adding Missing Information
Old 01-04-2017, 06:29 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I've never done 2 alternators or 2 batteries in a car, but my electrical engineering background tells me that if your voltage doubled you have things wired in series rather than parallel.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 AM
Beechee

Yes sir, I do appreciate you replying to my question. If i may pick your brain a little more. I have been told and read different threads about wiring and external regulator, and I have it wire the way the diagrams and the videos say to wire it. From the regulator which has 2 wires, one wire goes to one wire on the alternator, and the other wire on the regulator goes to the other wire on the regulator except for it also has a wire attached to it that comes from the fuse panel or a 12 volt source. And from the alternator I have it wired straight to the battery, with a 100 amp fuse between the batteries and alternator..

Old 01-04-2017, 10:54 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't know what to say without seeing a diagram for the regulator and alternator. Is this second battery completely isolated from the rest of the electrical system, or are both batteries hooked up to both alternators?

Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Admiral Jedi

Might be barking up the wrong tree here, but why not find an alternator that puts our more power at idle than your current one?

That would seem easier than wiring two together.