2001 R/T Shifting Into Park "P" Light Not Always Coming On

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:04 AM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2001 R/T Shifting Into Park "P" Light Not Always Coming On

Hi guys,

So I test drove a 2001 R/T today. After the test drive I stopped and shifted the car into "park". The P on the dash didn't immediately light up. I took my foot off the brake and it seemed to be in gear. I fiddled with the shifter put it into "R" then back to park and eventually the "P" lit up. I moved the shifter while in park just a bit and the "P" came on. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Old 03-18-2017, 08:47 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen that on mine on occasion. There is a simple cable adjustment that better synchronizes the dash lights with the trans.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:23 PM
fcastro
Professional

Hey JeeperDon, thanks for the reply. I am going to look up how to try this adjustment. I also came across a thread online that suggested it was an issue with the cable and the transmission which if broken could wreak havoc inside the tranny. Not sure how that cable and dash function together.

Also forgot to mention, I read that there is a recall with these trucks and not shifting into park. Its a dealer repair but I just got into that part of my research. I saw you bought your car new, have you had the recall fix done?

Last edited by fcastro; 03-18-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the only recall i know of related to the park lever was the interlock not engaging properly, this was allowing the transmission to be bumped out of park extremely easily which then allowed the vehicle to roll away if the e-brake wasnt set.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM
fcastro
Professional

Yes I believe that is the one. "POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:LEVER AND LINKAGE:COLUMN SHIFT"

http://www.dodgeproblems.com/recalls/Durango/2001/

Took a look today at the adjustment instructions of the shift cable, a little confusing to say the least.