1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

96 Intrepid Air Conditioner Problems PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 AM
TomH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Intrepid Air Conditioner Problems PLEASE HELP!!

Ok, i hoping not to make this post to long but it seems to be a long story!

About 2 months ago I bought my girlfriend a 96 Dodge Intrepid w/74,000 miles on it. We havent had any problems at all, short of the normal air filter, tune up things that i did myself.

We were on a trip about 4 hours, and half way through the air just stoped blowing cold, and blew a strange "fog" out of the vents that had no odor. When we got to where we were going, i stoped at the local autozone bought a little kit, and added about a 1/2 a can of combo 134a/oil/leak stop. The kit had a gauge, and i was carefull not to overfill the system. The kit worked great, the air was ICE cold and everyone was happy.(i felt like such a mechanic!).

So on the way home about an hour into the trip, once again i saw the fog, only it didnt get warm...it just eventually stoped, after turning it off and back on. This hasnt happened since, but im still wondering what it would be?

Ok, now we all know the background the true problem is: After running the air for a while it seems like the blower motor eventually, and incramentally slows untill it is bairly blowing at all, if you turn the a\c off and just use the vent, it eventually speeds back up...this has really got me confuced? I just cant imagine it being the blower motor, because it blows so strong after turning off the a\c.

It stays ICE cold the whole time....so i really just dont get it. I have very little experience with vehicle a\c, and about as little money to through at the problem! I do however have alot of experience with car repair, and am a quick learner

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:27 PM
rlhendry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the evaporator coils are icing up. when systems start to lose some of their charge the pressure drop will actually cause the coils to get too cold and freeze the natural moisture in the air. as the ice slowly build up the air gets more and more restricted so you feel less and less cold air blowing out the vents. turning off the system for a while lets the ice melt and when you turn it back on it will work and start the cycle over again if you are driving that long. if you leave the fan on with the compressor in the off position after it freezes up the smoke you see coming out of the vents isnt smoke or freon as some people think but is the water vapor coming off the melting ice..a proper charge of refrigerant should cure the problem or if only happens once in a while on long drives try living with it until it gets worse

Quick Reply: 96 Intrepid Air Conditioner Problems PLEASE HELP!!