1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1st gen gauge cluster repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:24 AM
MINIHEMI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st gen gauge cluster repair

so by gauges, would be like heat gauges as well?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 PM
dreadmenow

im new to the forum and i rann across this and i've got to thank you. i've been havin truble with my cluster for a few months now and to day i fixed it thanks to you so with that said THANK YOU haha.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 PM
MINIHEMI
Rookie

lucky you, my temp gauge is still crazy up and down more then a...well u get the rest

Old 08-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Metricman

Hello all. My 98 Neon also has a spastic speedo. Flops around up and down. Somtimes stays steady at the speed limit and other times drops to zero. Also, my air bag light fluctuates once in awheil. Seems to be related to the speedo thing although the air bag light symptoms showed up first.
Could both of these be related to the failing solder joints on in the gauge PC board ?
Also, I am curious as to how hard it is to remove the gauge pc baord. Should I get a Haynes manual for the details ?
Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^It's just a few screws to remove to get to the solder joints. It is very easy!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 PM
faeriegrrrl
Default '99 neon all guages dead

I have to thank you for posting this thread. I decided I'm going to learn how to repair my car beyond changing oil & flat tires. I just changed my thermostat yesterday without any problems using the Haynes Repair manual I bought from AutoZone. I drove my car for about 60 miles and everything was fine.

The next time I got into the car, I noticed that my speedometer & odometer weren't working at all. I checked my negative battery terminal because I had disconnected it when changing my thermostat. I cleaned it off even though it didn't need it and made sure it was on nice and tight... drove another 6 miles and the RPM guage stopped too. Now I had to drive home with no speedometer, tach, or fuel guage. I coudn't even see where my RPM's were at so had to drive home & shift by the sound of the engine...

Now, the only soldering iron I have is for jewelry. But I'm going to use it and try to fix this tomorrow too. Let's hope it works for my car!!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM
das2123
Legend

^^^Post back and let us know how it goes for you.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:26 PM
vtxbreeze

Hello, I am new to this forum, I found it looking for help for my 1995 Neon. This thread is just what I was looking for as my speedo goes from the speed I am driving to zero in a blink, I can tap the face of the instrument panel and it comes back.
I cannot see the drawing or picture of the solder joints that you all are talking about. Is there anyway to get it to come up?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ben

Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 PM
das2123
Legend

Originally Posted by vtxbreeze
Hello, I am new to this forum, I found it looking for help for my 1995 Neon. This thread is just what I was looking for as my speedo goes from the speed I am driving to zero in a blink, I can tap the face of the instrument panel and it comes back.
I cannot see the drawing or picture of the solder joints that you all are talking about. Is there anyway to get it to come up?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ben
Here is the pic....

Attached Thumbnails 1st gen gauge cluster repair-clusterfix.jpg  
Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 AM
vtxbreeze
Default cluster pic

Thanks das2123, the picture is just what I needed, I will try the solder trick and post up the results.
Later
Ben

Quick Reply: 1st gen gauge cluster repair