1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Shifting Late/Not Shiffing Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shifting Late/Not Shiffing Up

Hey guys,

Want to say thanks for all the previous help.

Well, now my transmission is shifting late. Today, after taking off from a red light, with steady acceleration, I got up to 50 mph, and the rpm were at 3,600. I had to drop it in to neutral and then back into drive to get it to shift up. On my way home, the truck was not shifting up at lower rpm. When I was taking off from a red light, I got up to 30 mph, and it still hadn't shifted up. I left off the gas and coasted, and it shifted, but the next time I took off from a red light, it didn't. Luckily I wasn't going too far.

I had the transmission rebuilt about 5 years ago, and last summer I changed the transmission fluid and the filter (dropped the pan). I cleaned the magnet off really good too.

Any thoughts on what it could be? It's not every time when I accelerate, but it's becoming more of a common occurrence, within the last couple days.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

it sounds like the problem is related to the kickdown.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 AM
cosmorphis
Amateur

Any way to elaborate? I don't know what that is.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2010, 12:28 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur

I just realized I have a 2001, and I should of posted this in the 2nd Gen Ram forum. =/

Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

since your truck is a 2001 your shifts and kickdown should be computer controlled. you might have have more luck if you create thread in the 2nd gen section.

Before computer control became widespread, most automatic transmissions would kick down only if the accelerator was pressed all the way to the floor. More modern transmissions may kick down, by one or more gears, earlier in the pedal’s range of movement, based on the pedal’s position or rate of change. Some vehicle central computers compare the current speed with the position of the accelerator, and if the vehicle is not accelerating as much as it should — as when it’s climbing a hill or carrying a heavy load — the computer will signal the transmission to kick down.

Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting Late/Not Shiffing Up