1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1989 dodge ram dies when warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Tom>
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I finally got some time to work on the truck today. I replaced the hall effect sensor, another new coolant temp sensor and the check engine light it off. The only problem is...that it still has the same problem. It runs great when cold but after driving a bit(maybe 5 min) it starts sputtering like its flooding and black smoke comes out the tail pipe. it will die, then it wont start unless i mash the gas pedal to the floor. Then it will start up but it seems like its running on only 3-4 cylinders and there is a lot of black smoke coming out the tail pipe. Ive now taken it to a shop as i just dont have time to figure it out myself and im in it too deep to get out now so i might as well just fix it.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Tom>

Just a little update. The shop is taking forever to diagnose this. They still havent figured it out. Hopefully some time next week i get to drive my baby again. Its funny how you hate it when its not working but miss it when its gone.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 AM
Tom>

Man, this thing is a royal pain in the butt. Havent been playing with it lately as i bought a beater car to get around. It is definitely getting WAY too much fuel even when it seems to be running well. If i rev it up it will leave black soot all over the car beside it and the exhaust pipe is caked in soot as well.
I recently got another coolant temp sensor as the coolant temp sensor code still comes up. ill replace that tomorrow and see what happens with that. If not i guess ill need to trace the wiring. That ought to be fun.

If that leads to nothing, then im just going to tryand find a known good(used) map sensor and see if that helps.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Tom>

Alright, So i noticed that the numbers on the TBI unit itself were different from the numbers on the original part so i decided to buy a rebuild kit, rebuilt it and swapped it back in. PROBLEM SOLVED! It runs like a top now. Better than it ever has.

On a side note, im still getting the coolant temp sensor problem. Ill have to hunt down the wiring. For now im going to replace fix all the small problems and then put it up for sale.

Quick Reply: 1989 dodge ram dies when warm