1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

D250 Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM
LA6-250
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D250 Lift

This is my very first post, and I have an idea that i have never seen anyone mention or say HAS or HAS NOT worked. To begin, I have a 1993 D250 and like a lot of 2WD owners i want to lift it without converting to a 4x4, without simply buying a new truck, and doing as much as i can without breaking the bank. I built and installed a 2'' body lift for it about 3 days ago (total cost= 10.14) ... I have considered MOOG springs, and coil spacers, but my idea seems like it would work. To lower a 2wd first gen, you simply use B-Series lower arms, due to the lowered spring bucket you see a 3-3.5 inch drop. Now, couldn't the same be said in reverse? Raise the Spring Pocket location on the Lower Arm and thus wouldn't it apply a suspension lift.. moderate increase ... 2-2.5 inch?

Old 10-12-2013, 01:02 PM
AlSoto
Default Front end problems

I am new at this forum...do not know where to start. My problem is with my 1990 dodge power ram le250..every once in a while when i hit a small pot hole on the road..my whole front shakes like the whole front of the truck is going to come apart..it is very scary and i am afraid that one of these times, something terrible is going to happen..i am a retired heavy equipment mechanic.. I jacked the front end up of the ground. And checked my tie rod ends and upper and lower ball joints..and can not really find the problem.i am at a lose...any help would be appreciated.

I am sure i am overlooking something..

Thanks, al

Old 10-10-2014, 05:14 PM
LowNSloan86

Originally Posted by LA6-250
This is my very first post, and I have an idea that i have never seen anyone mention or say HAS or HAS NOT worked. To begin, I have a 1993 D250 and like a lot of 2WD owners i want to lift it without converting to a 4x4, without simply buying a new truck, and doing as much as i can without breaking the bank. I built and installed a 2'' body lift for it about 3 days ago (total cost= 10.14) ... I have considered MOOG springs, and coil spacers, but my idea seems like it would work. To lower a 2wd first gen, you simply use B-Series lower arms, due to the lowered spring bucket you see a 3-3.5 inch drop. Now, couldn't the same be said in reverse? Raise the Spring Pocket location on the Lower Arm and thus wouldn't it apply a suspension lift.. moderate increase ... 2-2.5 inch?
I have a D150 and did a super lift 2" leaf block kit with Rancho RS9000XL shocks in the rear (had to order a separate set of u-bolts as the kit is made for the 4wd that already has a stock leaf block) and coil spring spacers in the front. haven't decided which shocks to use as i am waiting for replacement ball joints because all mine are shot. here is a pic with the 2" rear done

Attached Thumbnails D250 Lift-img_2467.jpg  
Old 10-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlSoto
I am new at this forum...do not know where to start. My problem is with my 1990 dodge power ram le250..every once in a while when i hit a small pot hole on the road..my whole front shakes like the whole front of the truck is going to come apart..it is very scary and i am afraid that one of these times, something terrible is going to happen..i am a retired heavy equipment mechanic.. I jacked the front end up of the ground. And checked my tie rod ends and upper and lower ball joints..and can not really find the problem.i am at a lose...any help would be appreciated.

I am sure i am overlooking something..

Thanks, al

Im surprised a moderator hasn't relocated this post yet... Next time, please start a new thread, rather than posting on someone else's post. It tends to de-rail their original question. Welcome to the forum though! You unmistakably have worn steering components. Search "Dodge Death Wobble" on your favorite search engine, and you will see this is a very common problem. Although it may not seem like any individual steering/suspension parts are too heavily worn, the wear of all of your front end components combined, can add up to drastic slop/movement. If each part has only 1/16" slop, all together you could have as much as half an inch of movement or so. For cost-effectiveness, start with the most severely worn, and work to the least. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LA6-250
No need to reinvent the wheel. Spacers are easy and cheap. Keep it to 2" or less for ball joint articulation. Here's a link for a typical model. The application is for a 94 Dodge 1500/2500 2WD (not 4WD). Usually come with little shock bolt spacers. I put a set on my 85 RC 2WD. Fit was no problem. Be sure to use coil spring compressor tool for safety. It makes installation a heck of a lot easier too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HV2KEG0/ref=pd_aw_sbs_2?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

Quick Reply: D250 Lift