1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust, Fuel, Air, Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:30 AM
360thunder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust, Fuel, Air, Emissions

Hello. If a person lived in a state that does not inspect for emissions control wanted to run true duals and said person had plans to LATER add an updated fuel and air intaking system..What immediate emissions removals would have to be made with the exhaust...Which ones would need to be done with the intake manifold ....carb and breather upgrade...What are the pros/cons of removing these things other than....Pro.....let er breathe..,Con......ozone layer..Are there any parts of it that cannot be removed at all? If the vehicle is computerized (I don't know?.) would something have to be changed there? .....do they make a tuner....I went to wallyworld and they didn't even sell an oilfilter.....LOL
I would like to have as much info as possible and as detailed as possible......it is 87 ram charger with 5.9. 2wd with 3speed 727.I know this is a lot of details to ask.
Thanks in advance.......360 Thunder

Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 PM
dozer556
Rookie

Originally Posted by 360thunder
Hello. If a person lived in a state that does not inspect for emissions control wanted to run true duals
Does this mean no visual inspection, or no sniffer test? Some states still do a tailpipe emissions test without checking to see if all the smog equipment is in place; others require a visual inspection to verify.

If you're in a state that just does the tailpipe emissions, without a visual inspection, you pass if the emissions are within levels, regardless of what you have/don't have left of your original smog equipment. In this case you could technically run full duals with no cats as long as you pass the tailpipe sniffer test.

Obviously, if your state does a visual inspection, your smog stuff needs to be in place and "functioning".

In some states (like Washington) vehicles over 25 years old do not need an emissions test at all.

Originally Posted by 360thunder
What immediate emissions removals would have to be made with the exhaust...
IMHO, with today's hi-flow aftermarket converters, there really isn't a need to remove the cats from your system IF you want to keep it "legal".

My guess is since your Ramcharger has a carb (FI didn't show up on the 360 until '89 IIRC), you could run true duals (with or without cats) as long as you include a bung for the appropriate upstream O2 sensor(s). I don't believe the 360 in '87 had any downstream, after-cat sensors.

I'm sure one of the more tech-saavy posters will chime in here sooner or later with more info, especially regarding your other questions.

HTH.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 PM
360thunder

Thanks Dozer,
Ihave never heard of any inspection of any kind except large commercial trucks going across DOT scales or inspections. I am in TN and there are a ton of cars running around without the stuff....I know after they get so new its a problem to remove anything. Stupid question here.....other than the anatomical version...LOL,.......what is a bung as far as exhaust......
After looking close at the 26 yr old manifold bolts I am thinking of forgoing the headers....but the exhaust is old so I would love to buy to mufflers.... drive to the custom exhaust guy and cutthe cat off in the parking lot ....that's how its usually done here....the only people I've ever heard of having a problem are those that make the setup too loud....such as straight pipes......I have heard of people gutting out the cat but leaving it.....I don't want to negatively affect the engine ...it runs great.....
Bobby

Old 12-29-2013, 04:44 AM
dozer556
Rookie

Well, according to the almighty Interwebs, there are 95 counties in TN, and only a handful do emissions testing. I'm going to guess for the remaining counties, it is a non-issue.

Re: the O2 sensor bung. It's basically a nut that gets welded over a hole in the header or downpipe. The O2 sensor screws into it so it can read the exhaust gasses. I know your truck doesn't run FI, but I'm pretty sure you'll need the upstream O2 sensors to keep the truck running normally. Again, I'm not sure if your rig has downstream (after the cat) sensors, so that may be something you need to address.

Here's what they look like:

http://racepartsolutions.com/index.p...id=31&Itemid=1

This is just my humble and unsolicited opinion, but if the engine is running good and you're happy with the way it drives, why not just replace the mufflers if they need it, and leave the rest of the system as it is?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM
360thunder

Thanks for all the help dozer....some of the exhaust is in poor shape....I have an exhaust leak somewhere near the front of the system ......i'm hoping its not the manifold because I've decided against headers ....the manifold bolts look like a problem waiting to happen. I will track down my leak and do a better inspection of everything and decide which route to go......just wanna get a little more sound out of her....I like that rumble. Lol. Thanks man

Quick Reply: Exhaust, Fuel, Air, Emissions