1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'll ask you guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

OK I officially feel dumb. I just discovered by looking inn my hanes manual that the fuel pump is in upside down!!!! I went down to the dealer to confirm it. No wonder it was such a bear hooking up the pump to carb line. Its mechanical so it is getting hit by the lobes of the crank and it worked fine for several years without this problem so while I now have to change it around I still have to figure out the problem. Maybe the guy before me couldn't get the nut on the back corner of the carb tightened?
I have been informed it is very unlikely the metal fuel line is bad and I should change the rubber parts before going further. I'll be doing that when I flip the pump.
I can get an electric fuel pump for $47 and regulator for $25 at autozone. The fuel PSI for fuel on this ram 50 2.0L is 4-4.5 according to the person at autozone.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:22 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

So I look online and the pump that's in there may be an after market and actually not upside down. I go to a store to check it out and he sends me across the parking lot to the mechanic who can't figure out how to do a fuel pressure test and suggests the muffler/cat may be clogged. Well I just welded the muffler and it sounded like it was full of sand and the former owner claimed to have beaten all the insides out of the Cat. New prob no solution as yet. I got another muffler new for 12bucks! Ok it aint great but its sumptin. Have to weld both ends.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I've had the cat out and you can see light through it. There are only two small baffles. I welded on a new muffler. The problem is still there, it's a wee bit better but still there. The exhaust goes down from 2inch to 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 just in front of the muffler, could that be it?
Also I now have the carb tuned and it runs fine unless I try to get on it or need torque. IN fact I drove across town a couple of miles then accelerated to 50+ andit started giving me the problem. It is almost as if there is a governor on it. Not knowing what one would look like IDK It ran fine before the problem started:-)

Old 05-17-2014, 12:17 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

There was another hole in the exhaust pipe which I missed. I patched it and it runs a LOT better.
I think the dealer mechanic was wrong and it is not starving it is drowning. There is a heavy gas smell and I remember there was a puddle of gas in the intake manifold when I took the carb off. I'm not sure what to do I just did a kit. I know I did not have problems for a few years then the loping started and I adjusted the carb. It seems the cat was not removed when the guy I bought it from beat on it and the innards finally plugged the muffler. Then I did a carb kit a few years ago.
Obviously I changed something I haven't been able to fix. I rebuilt it and set it according to this page. http://www.mk3supra.org/topic/561-gu...236-dgav-carb/ a couple weeks ago. Bottom of page 2 is how to set it after the rebuild.
Should I just buy another carb?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Cmckinney99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching the thread and I realized on thing and your carb is prolly junk

Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Cmckinney99
Professional

I've been watching the thread and I realized on thing and your carb is prolly junk

Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Yea now that I come back to respond I realise that the heavy gas smell started at about the same time the problems did. The carb was good prior to that so I must have "adjusted" something the wrong way. I don't have a lot of experience with rebuilding them only did a few Bike carbs prior to this one. It will probably cost as much if I could find someone who still knows carbs well as it will to buy the new one. Its only 100099 miles maybe it needs a timing belt too?
I did notice last night that it got up to temp very fast, in a 1/4 mile so that probably means plugged rad, bad/weak water pump, or motor needs flushed. Its got a new thermostat.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:17 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

It is very cool this morning. I took it out for a drive it was fully hot at <4 miles. It drove nicely and finally coughed and tried to lope on me when I passed someone being an idiot. I'm more sure than ever that it is too much fuel and the other problem is to do with cooling. I have a new water pump and when the timing belt comes in this after noon I will attempt to replace them both.
There may be an exhaust leak at the cat from me taking it apart and putting it back together. It never had the exhaust smell in the cab before. I have an appointment Monday to make the exhaust 2" from the reducer in front of the Muffler back with another new muffler. I'll have them check it out, see if I can talk them into re-seating it properly or find a leak.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I tore it open and found the balancer belt was broken. That was probably the source of most of my problems. I have both timing belts on order they will be in tomorrow, the new water pump is in. Once this thing is clean it aint so bad to work on it.

Couple Question's
1. Is it a big deal that I can't get the crankshaft sprocket off? It actually broke my puller! Edit-Duh there is a bolt in front of it. No diagrams showing it clearly nor any proper advice on removing it. See post #32 this thread.
2. When I drained the radiator only about a gallon came out and maybe a pint out of the WP. This is a 4cyl ram50 2.0L Is that about right?

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-18-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

I just wanted to mention if your ever unsure weather your running rich or lean pull the sparkplugs and see what they say, if there is too much gas they will smell gassy and be wet and black too little fuel and they will be white. It's cheap, easy and will tell you the answer

Quick Reply: I'll ask you guys