1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

89 D250 Coil Spring change

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:33 PM
sawitup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 D250 Coil Spring change

Any tips on changing out the front coil springs on my 89 D250? I purchased some Moog 7226s coil springs to go in there. Is there a write-up somewhere? I have the Chrysler service manual and it doesn't cover suspension at all.

Last edited by sawitup; 12-02-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:42 AM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sawitup
Any tips on changing out the front coil springs on my 89 D250? I purchased some Moog 7226s coil springs to go in there. Is there a write-up somewhere? I have the Chrysler service manual and it doesn't cover suspension at all.
Just did mine. use a floor jack under the lower arm to hold the tension of the spring when you break loose your ball joint. Also leave the upper and lower ball joint nuts on just at the end of threads to prevent the spring from popping all the way out when you break the joints loose. Slowly lower the jack stand to release the spring tension. When installing your new ones attach the strut rod to the lower arm before you put the springs in. Leave it very loose. It can be a pain sometimes getting that strut back in after the spring has all the tension on it.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:59 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the strut rod, I used a longer threaded bolt to pull the strut close to the control arm until I could get the original bolt in the second hole. I used the free tool rental at Auto zone to remove and replace the coils. Its safer and makes installation easier IMO since you don't have to fight the tension of the coils.

Quick Reply: 89 D250 Coil Spring change