1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

continuation of stater not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 AM
flipmann
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question continuation of stater not engaging

Okay bench started the starter and solenoid and starter both are spinning. Put it back in the truck crawled underneath tried to start it and nothing just spun like before but I did notice that the solenoid pushed out and the fly wheel did spin but it didn't crank. I pulled the plugs to see what they looked like and they where a redish brown on the tops. Now these plugs only have probably 800 miles on them if that. I went ahead and put some new ones in and pulled the coil out haven't tried starting it again yet ran out of daylight haha. any Ideas? I did notice that the distributor is a two coil system but on the diagram I have there are 2 sets of wires coming off each coil Mine only have one set on the outside of the cap any ideas and comments would be very helpful

Old 05-19-2016, 06:58 AM
flipmann

Okay a lot of views but no comments come guys. What are the magneto suppose to be gaged at on the distributor. I think that is the problem I don't think they are set right. My distributor is always moving around no matter how tight I think the bolt is any help thoughts guys

Old 05-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain

This is a new thread. Why not post this on your other thread for continuity?

Wish I could help.
So it's a crank-no-start?
Got spark and fuel?
Got the timing problem fixed?
Know where I can download a manual for it?

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-19-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 PM
ricks truck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipmann
Okay bench started the starter and solenoid and starter both are spinning. Put it back in the truck crawled underneath tried to start it and nothing just spun like before but I did notice that the solenoid pushed out and the fly wheel did spin but it didn't crank. I pulled the plugs to see what they looked like and they where a redish brown on the tops. Now these plugs only have probably 800 miles on them if that. I went ahead and put some new ones in and pulled the coil out haven't tried starting it again yet ran out of daylight haha. any Ideas? I did notice that the distributor is a two coil system but on the diagram I have there are 2 sets of wires coming off each coil Mine only have one set on the outside of the cap any ideas and comments would be very helpful
You keep saying "Didn't crank"....... Do you mean the engine would not 'catch and start'? Or do you mean the flywheel is spinning but the engine is not turning over?
BIG difference there. n your other thread, it sounded as if th engine was not turning over, but now it sounds t me like it 'won't start'.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 PM
flipmann

The fly wheel is spinning with the starter but it's not turning the engine over. If I put a wrench on the crank case on the front got compression and all that but it wont start when I turn the key the fly wheel just spins. I've narrowed it down to either the bolts in the fly wheel are broke, the fly wheel is broke it's self or the back half of the crank is broke. I haven't took it apart yet to see the out come yet (havnet and the time) any one got any other ideas that could cause it thanks for the help and in put

Old 06-23-2016, 12:06 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

I think we're all waitin' to see what's broke!

Quick Reply: continuation of stater not engaging