1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 07:33 PM
Maki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Upgrade?

Are there any plug/play brake kits for the front? The only thing I've been able to find on searching is Wilwood (140-14065-R Classic Series Dynalite Front Brake Kit) but it's universal so I'm not sure how well it will fit in. I know I'll need to run new brake lines, and I'm planning on trying to do a Hydroboost setup for the power steering and brakes as right now the brakes are super squishy and something is FUBAR'd with the drivers side caliper. I know I also need a new steering box and plan on doing the Van LCA's to drop the front (and eventually an axle flip on the rear to match).

Old 01-11-2022, 04:51 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have not found any kits. Our calipers have a decent piston size though. I'd going the hydroboost route.

Edit: consider a new prop valve. Our old cast iron ones like to jam up with rust.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:45 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Ive had several of these trucks, and as long as all is right with them as designed, I have never had a problem with them stopping well. No upgrade needed. make sure rotors aren't worn/machined undersized, use good grade (middle of the road at a minimum) of pads make sure nothing is frozen/seized,
make sure REAR brakes are working correctly, oil seals on rear diff aren't blown, wheel cylinders aren't blown or seized/stuck, and adjusted up, drums are in good shape. rears out of adjustment will give a low pedal every time.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Upgrade?