2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:51 PM
ZeeVert
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2011 2.4L - ETC and ESC lights go on and it flips into limp mode -20mph tops. I've been messing with this for about a year. Replaced the throttle/pedal, battery, and cleaned the TB twice. Just replaced the Throttle Body. After I replaced the battery, it was ok for 9 months. The TB is on it's 4th day.... keeping my fingers crossed.

The following users liked this post:
Daniel David Croy (02-09-2021)
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
drnova85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jesus

So i purchased a Certified used 2011 dodge avenger in 2012. car has 45800 miles on it exactly and the etc light is flashing on and off. see this problem goes back to when i had the car at 30k miles. i live in new jersey and we had a tough winter. i noticed my car wouldnt start on these cold days and saw the lightning bolt pop up on my dashboard. i brought the car to the dealership, there were no issues. cause no problem codes came up. didnt matter what i told them, no problem codes, no problem no need to use the warranty. sept 15. driving down the road, hit a bump etc light comes on goes away. this morning its 57 degrees out car starts, take off, etc light turns on and stays on for about 15 seconds, goes away. so now the problem is back and it seems its going to suck alot of money out of my pocket.
Has anyone had this issue?
On another note, when i have the A/C on for awhile, there is this pounding, clunking noise that goes on. it only happens when the a/c is on.
This is my first American made car. My first was a toyota that didnt give me any issues at all till 85000 miles.
i fear i have purchased myself a lemon, that im still paying for. :/

Old 10-01-2014, 03:53 PM
2007 RAM HEMI

so i have a 07 dodge ram with 130k iam having the same problem with the ETC i have repalced it but it did not fixed my problem. i will start the truck in the morning and drive for maybe 40 yard and it loses RPM (Limp mode) i turn it off and re-start the truck and it drives fine again. does anyone have the fix for this?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 AM
chelsspark
Default Same Issues - ETC Replacement

I'm having the same issues as everyone above. I have a 2011 Avenger with 55k miles. ETC light came on and then couldn't drive over 30 mph. Reset car, was okay for about 2 miles and then started again. Took the car to the dealership - just bought about 2 months ago - and they said they would try to clean it out before doing anything else. Dealership cleaned the throttle body, gave it back to us, and it started all over again. Paid $100 for that, and now the service tech is telling us it will be $400 to replace the throttle body. Is that going to fix our problem? Or are we just going to be in the same boat a month from now? Should we trade the car in, or see if the new throttle body will work?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chelsspark
I'm having the same issues as everyone above. I have a 2011 Avenger with 55k miles. ETC light came on and then couldn't drive over 30 mph. Reset car, was okay for about 2 miles and then started again. Took the car to the dealership - just bought about 2 months ago - and they said they would try to clean it out before doing anything else. Dealership cleaned the throttle body, gave it back to us, and it started all over again. Paid $100 for that, and now the service tech is telling us it will be $400 to replace the throttle body. Is that going to fix our problem? Or are we just going to be in the same boat a month from now? Should we trade the car in, or see if the new throttle body will work?
Did the dealer find any fault codes?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:44 AM
rmesax

I had the same issue and after spending money on a new throttle-body, the problem ended up being a leaking intake manifold gasket which i found out after getting the 2173 code. I did this repair myself paying $7.00 for the gasket. The dealer wanted to replace the intake manifold and gasket for around $900.00. I tested by spraying carb cleaner near the area where the intake meets the engine and the car stumbled at idle.

Update! I have put over 30,000 miles on car since the repair and the problem never returned. The car now has over 160,000 miles on it and running fine. I attached before and after pics. I hope they are viewable.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 PM
ZeeVert

Originally Posted by ZeeVert
2011 2.4L - ETC and ESC lights go on and it flips into limp mode -20mph tops. I've been messing with this for about a year. Replaced the throttle/pedal, battery, and cleaned the TB twice. Just replaced the Throttle Body. After I replaced the battery, it was ok for 9 months. The TB is on it's 4th day.... keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm at 3 months on the new throttle body. No issues, and wasn't expecting any, after I tore the TB apart and found the extremely worm gear teeth.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:51 AM
rgreen228

My ETC light is on and so is my check engine, but the car is driving fine. 2010 Dodge avenger. It's extremely cold like -7 with a windchill of -20, is this the issue or is it something else? What is the fix for this? Is there one? I don't want to waste time and money getting to the bottom of this or I will be the worst nightmare Dodge has...

Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rgreen228
My ETC light is on and so is my check engine, but the car is driving fine. 2010 Dodge avenger. It's extremely cold like -7 with a windchill of -20, is this the issue or is it something else? What is the fix for this? Is there one? I don't want to waste time and money getting to the bottom of this or I will be the worst nightmare Dodge has...

Ice CAN accumulate on the throttle plate if it's that cold.

Nothing works well at 5 to 20 below.

Trust me, you can't be their worst nightmare....that's MY job lol.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:13 AM
ZeeVert

Originally Posted by rgreen228
You must have a different issue. Start by getting the check engine code.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss