2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Water in trunk lid???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 AM
MontyJ
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in trunk lid???

I just bought a 2009 Avenger SXT. It has a spoiler on the trunk lid. When I opened the trunk (at the dealership) water came pouring out of the lock. I could hear what sounded like gallons of water inside the lid. The salesman got a service tech to come look at it. He removed the plugs from the lower edge of the lid and drained out the water. I nearly didn't buy the car because of this, but we really liked it.

So, now we have had it home for almost a week. It's been raining every day and I can hear water in the lid again. The only place I can find that it could get in would be where the spoiler is mounted.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm taking it back to the dealer on Saturday. I'm just wondering what kind of damage is happening inside the lid. It looks like a perfect opportunity for rust to eat the thing up from the inside out.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I was going to ask if the plugs were removed, Thats is now a recall. I would have the dealer water test the deck lid and the tail lamps assy's.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 AM
magic.box.diva
Default water in trunk lid

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger Se and I have the same issue in my trunk lid. I did get slightly bumped into on the rear and only noticed it afterwards. However nothing seem to be damaged at the time. Any fixes anyone?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:23 AM
r-g_richards
Rookie

Common problem. Solution once the plugs are remove is to take the third brake light out and seal the opening with silicon and reinstall the light assembly.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
MommaO

Silicone on the third light fixture in the trunk fixed that same issue on mine. Now however, the trunk release is not working from inside the car nor the key fob. Anyone know how that is fixed. You can hear it trying to open when you hit the dash button and when you click the key fob. Oh and no, there is nothing stuck in the latch. We crawled inside to make sure that wasn't the issue. Thanks

Old 11-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Ramaniac

I did this too, buy from the outside, not taking out the light.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Rjonay473
Default Me also

Originally Posted by magic.box.diva
I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger Se and I have the same issue in my trunk lid. I did get slightly bumped into on the rear and only noticed it afterwards. However nothing seem to be damaged at the time. Any fixes anyone?
I have the same problem. Although my car hasn't been hit. Every time it rains I get water. Now I don't have rear turning signals. Does anyone know if there's been a recall to fix this.

Quick Reply: Water in trunk lid???