2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Check engine light - P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
meaculpa3x
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the truck seems to run and idle well, but has the CEL showing a misfire, try the seafoam. Start the engine, pull the big vacume hose off the brake booster and slowly pour a can of seafoam in the vacume hose. This could produce a lot of white smoke to billow out the exhaust pipe SO YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO DO IT IN A GARAGE. When you are getting to the last 1/4 of the seafoam, start pouring faster so the engine will actually flood and die from the seafoam. Let the engine sit for 15-30 minutes, not running. Pour another full can into the gas tank (need at least 6 gallons of gas in the tank). After the wait start the engine, rev it up. Lots of smoke at this time. Go for a drive after the smoke calms down. You'll still see smoke for a while, it will eventually go away (20 minutes or so). Run that tank of gas out and fill'er up again. Put another can of seafoam in the second tank. Then I'd do a can every 6 months after that. That's the process for the fuel system.
NOW, a lot of people don't realized oil issues (sludge/build-up) can also cause misfires. Next time you are due for an oil change pour half a can of seafoam in the oil 100 miles before the change. Continue driving for the 100 miles. Drain the oil, refill (recommend full synthetic, Schaeffers is the best in my opinion), add half the remaining seafoam to the oil (1/4 can). Next oil change add the last 1/4 can to the clean oil. This should clean up the hydraulic lifters, oil passages, etc also helps remove crap from the crankcase that is melting off the valves and pistons due to the seafoam on the fuel side.

Give it a try,

Hope it helps

Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 AM
JnyB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I found my problem

The same day I was going to take it to the mechanic one of my friends asked to take a look. He found that my "PCV valve" was broken. He sent me for JB Weld glue (I purchased it at AutoZone) and glued it back together.
2013-03-02 11.22.06.jpg
Then he noticed that an elbow hose leading to the intake was ripped (we taped it for a quick fix but I plan on replacing it). I'm hoping that I can attach pictures so that you can see for yourself.
2013-03-02 11.22.26.jpg
So I've ran 50 miles without the light turning back on, my rpms are no longer over 1000 when idle. Does anyone know how many miles you have to run after you clear codes before you do a smog in California?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:48 PM
Newbie62

Originally Posted by JnyB
The same day I was going to take it to the mechanic one of my friends asked to take a look. He found that my "PCV valve" was broken. He sent me for JB Weld glue (I purchased it at AutoZone) and glued it back together.
Attachment 19015
Then he noticed that an elbow hose leading to the intake was ripped (we taped it for a quick fix but I plan on replacing it). I'm hoping that I can attach pictures so that you can see for yourself.
Attachment 19016
So I've ran 50 miles without the light turning back on, my rpms are no longer over 1000 when idle. Does anyone know how many miles you have to run after you clear codes before you do a smog in California?
I cut the cat off of my 98 Dakota 3.9 due to rattling and had to clear the codes before getting it inspected, I drove about 5 miles and it would pass!
Did that for about 5 years before I replaced the cat.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Russell Loveland
Default P303 code

Originally Posted by jaaackhammer
first of all guys if you have a dodge or chrysler don't bother bringing it to a mechanic to diagnose it. Just turn the ignition on three times with out starting it and the code will come up were your mileage is, it will say done when it's done. If you have a miss fire code like i did, you should change you distributor cap and rotor. It's suppose to be done every 24,000 miles! I would do it at least every 40,000 miles. My truck was running a little rough and would stall some times. I changed the distributor cap and rotor for $20 and my truck ran smoother and the code was gone. If you have a rough idile, that should solve the problem also.
I have a 2007 dodge caravan 2.4L. I just changed all the spark plugs and wires as well as the coil pack as my engine light came on when it started bucking during acceleration. I shut the key off then turned key 3 times to get the code. It said P030 which is cylinder 3 misfire so i changed all plugs, wires and coil pack. I put the positive terminal back on battery started it up engine light was off and ran smoother. Took it for a test drive and then egine light came on. Code says P0303 misfire third cylinder. Now im lost as to what it could be now

Old 05-13-2018, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell Loveland
I have a 2007 dodge caravan 2.4L. I just changed all the spark plugs and wires as well as the coil pack as my engine light came on when it started bucking during acceleration. I shut the key off then turned key 3 times to get the code. It said P030 which is cylinder 3 misfire so i changed all plugs, wires and coil pack. I put the positive terminal back on battery started it up engine light was off and ran smoother. Took it for a test drive and then egine light came on. Code says P0303 misfire third cylinder. Now im lost as to what it could be now
You need to post in the caravan section.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:36 PM
Mrk73
Default #3 misfire

Originally Posted by CULOSE
Did you get the problem fixed?

Any ideas for a cylinder 2 misfire. replaced plug,coil,tested compression, tested fuel pressure, checked for power at coil and injector (both have power), checked connections they were good, swapped plug and coil from cylinder 4 to make sure new parts were not bad. It stills comes up with code P302 cylinder #2 misfire. Thinking maybe a problem with the valve or broken spring. Still not sure if that would cause the misfire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I had mine to dealer 4 times over same problem they have replaced just about everything and still not fixed. I can make a list of things they have had to fix over and over. Mine is junk

Old 05-14-2021, 10:13 AM
Jeannie Nelson
Default 2003 dodge Dakota 3.7 -check engine light - po0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire detected

[QUOTE=Boulee;1652969]my check engine light come on. stopped at auto zone and dude-o hooked it up to his comp and it read two P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected codes.

I recently had the 60,000 mile mainenace done so plugs are new.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2003 Doddge Dakota 3.7 liter with a po 0303 code dectected

Old 05-14-2021, 10:14 AM
Jeannie Nelson
Default 2003 dodge Dakota 3.7 -check engine light - po0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire detected

[QUOTE=Boulee;1652969]my check engine light come on. stopped at auto zone and dude-o hooked it up to his comp and it read two P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected codes.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:17 AM
Jeannie Nelson

Old 05-14-2021, 10:22 AM
Jeannie Nelson

Originally Posted by Russell Loveland
[QUOTE=Jeannie Nelson;3514830][QUOTE=Boulee;1652969]my check engine light come on. stopped at auto zone and dude-o hooked it up to his comp and it read two P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

mechanic says #3cylinder only at 25 what does this mean?

Quick Reply: Check engine light - P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected