2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1999 Dakota Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
ironmaster01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dakota Transmission problem

I am having a problem with my 1999 Dakota 4x4 Sport 5.2L transmission. Previously, when I shifted into reverse it clunked, so I changed the rear drive axle u-joints (twice). Recently, when I let the truck sit for a few days and then try and go into reverse it will not engage unless I first go into drive and move the truck a little bit and then it will go into reverse. Sometimes it will clunk after but not always. However, on 2-15-17, after I started it up and tried to go into reverse and had no luck, I put the truck in drive and had the same issue, it wouldn't go, that was until I gave it a little gas and then CLUNK it dropped into gear and moved. Then I was able to put it into reverse. When I am driving it switchs between gears just fine. My fluid looks good and isn't that old. The vehicle has ~85,000 miles on it so doesn't get driven very much except during the fall for hunting season. Anyway, I read a lot of horror stories online about dodge transmission problems but all of them had to do with shifting between forward gears. Not sure if I have a "simple" linkage problem, or the beginning of something far worse. Any insight that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. Also not sure where to post this as I just joined the froum. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:27 PM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see it's damn hard to answer.... it's probably the linkage or something blocking the valvebody

Quick Reply: 1999 Dakota Transmission problem