2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

HELP! No start after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Durango8766
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! No start after engine swap

Hi everyone, I am fairly new this dodge forum, I just finished my 05 durango 4.7 swap due to a blown head gasket, So heres my problem, I put the key in, turn it to on, and its in reverse even though its in park, I cycles through all of the gears just fine, the cable wasnt touched during the swap either, When its it park it defaults to reverse, and when i put it in neutral it just skips over it and goes into drive, it wont start in any gear of course, I get code P0700 and P0750, I know it solenoid A.... I have never gotten that code before or had any problems with the tranny, I checked all the wiring on the tranny even though none of it had been disconnected, I am 99.9% sure it electrical... fantastic. Anyone have any ideas on where the problem area may be, Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM
LONEWOLF2007
Amateur
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
That's bad news, sorry to hear that. The good news is you might have a transmision problem, covered by a Dodge Recall for Durango 2005, I think is Recall ID # 56104 - POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, .

This are some data from Recall database in Motortrend

Recall Date:
OCT 06, 2005

Model Affected:
2005 Dodge Durango

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 42RLE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, THE CUP PLUG THAT RETAINS THE PARK PAWL ANCHOR SHAFT MAY BE IMPROPERLY INSTALLED. IF THE SHAFT MOVES OUT OF POSITION, THE VEHICLE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO ACHIEVE 'PARK' POSITION.

Consequences:
IF THIS OCCURS AND THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT APPLIED, THE VEHICLE MAY ROLL AWAY AND CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSIONS AND INSTALL A BRACKET TO ENSURE THE PARK PAWL ANCHOR SHAFT IS RETAINED IN THE PROPER POSITION. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 28, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected: 256409

Notes: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION

I don't know if this is your case because there should'n be problems with drive and neutral, check the VIN number at the dealer to see if your truck is one of those. GOOD LUCK

Last edited by LONEWOLF2007; 12-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Durango8766
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I wish, The tranny is just fine, ive never gotten that code or had any problems until i put in a different engine and tried to start it, I inspected the bracket, the plug for the selenoid pack, the grounds, the shifter cable, it is electronic whatever it is, It shifts into every gear 100% correctly, none of the wiring on the tranny was touched during the swap either, neither was the shift cable, I can find anything about this problem in the service manual either, im at a loss, im calling a guy I know who used to be a chrysler mechanic, and I will let you know what he says. Thanks

Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 AM
LONEWOLF2007
Amateur

Mmm, interesting. Wich transmision do you have, the 42RLE or 545RFE?? The Service manual (the 6600 pages big one) has a lot of test info but you need to know the model. The error codes refers to te TCM, and i don't know if you can get in it by the OBDII port. i found some weird info about the P0750, hope can help http://engine-codes.com/p0750.html

This is one of the many test procedures on the service manual, never tried, but a "test and fail" is better than no truck and gives a clue of what to look for.

1. 42RLE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1
Note: 1. After completion of the Transmission Verification Test, the Powertrain Verification Test must be performed. Refer to the Powertrain Category.
2. Connect the scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC).
3. Reconnect any disconnected components.
4. With the scan tool, erase all Transmission DTC’s, also erase the PCM DTC’s.
5. Perform *PRNDL FAULT CLEARING PROCEDURE after completion
of repairs for P0706 CHECK SHIFTER SIGNAL.
6. With the scan tool, display Transmission Temperature. Start and run the engine until the Transmission Temperature is HOT, above 43° C or 110° F.
7. Check the transmission fluid and adjust if necessary. Refer to the Service Information for the Fluid Fill procedure.
Note: 8. If the Transmission Control Module or Torque Converter has been replaced, or if the Transmission has been repaired or replaced, it is necessary to perform the scan tool Quick Learn
Procedure and reset the (Pinion Factor(.
9. Road test the vehicle. With the scan tool, monitor the engine RPM. Make 15 to 20 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 upshifts. Perform these shifts from a standing start to 45 MPH with a constant throttle opening of 20 to 25 degrees.
10. Below 25 MPH, make 5 to 8 wide open throttle kickdowns to 1st gear. Allow at least 5 seconds each in 2nd and 3rd gear between each kickdown.
11. For a specific DTC, drive the vehicle to the Symptom’s When Monitored/
When Set conditions to verify the DTC is repaired.
12. If equipped with AutoStickT, upshift and downshift several times using the AutoStickT feature during the road test.
Note: 13. Use the EATX OBDII task manager to run Good Trip time in each gear, this will confirm the repair and to ensure that the DTC has not re-matured.
14. Check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) during the road test.
If a DTC sets during the road test , return to the Symptom list and perform the appropriate symptom.
Note: 15. Erase P0700 DTC in the PCM to turn the MIL light off after making transmission repairs.

Good Luck, and let us know what happens. I'll see what else i can find

Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 AM
LONEWOLF2007
Amateur

Send a PM to site moderator 'master tech', people here says he's the expert.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That he is.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
LONEWOLF2007
Amateur

yeap fascisfaction. Actyally i took that suggestion from you. so all thanks are to you

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: HELP! No start after engine swap