2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2006 Dodge Durango 4.7 liter cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Mike Gee Di'Plorable
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Dodge Durango 4.7 liter cooling problems

Hello everyone in mopar land.
This one is a real brain twister because I have exhausted it.
Okay the problem I'm having on my 4.7 liter is that there is no heat the lower radiator hose is cold and the upper hose is hot, so I would do what anybody else would do and change the thermostat which I did, I also tested the thermostat before I put it in in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens up and it sure did.
While I was under there I also noticed that the water pump was leaking so I figure I replaced it with a brand new one. I put everything back together and I had the same problem lower radiator hose cold upper hot no heat.
The radiator itself was full of crap and rust so I decided to change it and also I replace the pressure cap.
Put everything back together and the same problem overheating, lower radiator hose is cold upper is hot and no heat.
So I decided to isolate the heater core, I did that put it back together turned it on and the same problem of course no heat but it was also overheating with the lower radiator hose cold and the other hot. So while I had the hoses off I decided to flush out the heater core in both directions it was pretty clean to my surprise and there is no leaks by the way, I also decided to flush out the block again in both directions with no leaks and the water was clean.
Put everything back together put fresh coolant in there and I also tested out the viscous fan with the rolled-up magazine method.
So I'm having the same problem no heat lower radiator hose cold upper radiator hose hot and again no heat also its climbing to the H which then I shut it off before it hits.
So I figure at this point I don't know what else to do please if anybody knows anything let me know
Just on the side note there is no oil in the cooling system and no water in the block.

Last edited by Mike Gee Di'Plorable; 10-08-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:33 PM
pgtek
Professional

Hi
theres a bleeder screw on top of the upper rad house housing that has a allen key shape.
turn on all heater to max heat . leave rad cap on and slowly loosen the allen key screw untill all air bubble stop and good heat inside and all hose are hot then close it and top off rad fluid

Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM
Backyardmech

Hey did you figure out what the issue was?? I am having the same issue right now and am at the same point you were when you posted!!

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Durango 4.7 liter cooling problems