2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 Neon Auto Shutdown Relay

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 PM
ricpsfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Neon Auto Shutdown Relay

Hey here's my problem with 2005 neon auto shutdown relay. I replaced the computer with a rebuilt. Car would not start and after troubleshooting discovered if I ground the 85 side of the asr coil the car will start and run. The 85 side goes to the PCM and I traced this wire for breaks and found none and can even read 12 volts at the PCM plug. Problem with grounding the relay however the alternator isn't charging battery. The relay according to a haynes manual, provides voltage to the alternator field, ignition coil, fuel injectors and oxygen sensor heaters. Rather, I think the PCM sees the relay is energized and then directs other functions such as power for the alternator field. What is strange is when the relay is not grounded and car won't start there is a dash light on steady (owners manual says it's the theft alarm light) and on top of that my actron scanner can't communicate with the PCM. After grounding the relay the theft alarm light goes out and the scanner can communicate however it finds no codes. If I turn the key on three times I get three codes - PO562 Battery voltage low, which it is since it's not charging - PO685 and PO688 both related to the shutdown relay open, shorted or control circuit low. I've checked wires all weekend looking for a problem and can't find any. Could it be the theft light has something to do with it. I tried locking the car and unlocking it several times like the owners manual said. After starting the engine with the relay grounded with a jumper I can take the jumper off and the relay stays energized and the car runs until I shut off the ignition and then I have to ground the coil negative side to start it again.

Last edited by ricpsfan; 12-07-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: update on problem
Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 PM
ricpsfan

I took it to a dodge dealer today and he was sure the vin number in the computer was entered wrong or that the sentry key system was hosed or had an error. The mechanic spent an hour on it and those were not the problem but he gave me a print out that states PCM Status Failure and then a Serial Link External Fault, he couldn't explain very well what this meant other than there is a wiring harness problem and he needed to inspect all the wiring. I took it home instead and spent another couple hours looking at wiring again. Hope I find something soon, it's wearing my patience.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Branden Shepard

Originally Posted by ricpsfan
I took it to a dodge dealer today and he was sure the vin number in the computer was entered wrong or that the sentry key system was hosed or had an error. The mechanic spent an hour on it and those were not the problem but he gave me a print out that states PCM Status Failure and then a Serial Link External Fault, he couldn't explain very well what this meant other than there is a wiring harness problem and he needed to inspect all the wiring. I took it home instead and spent another couple hours looking at wiring again. Hope I find something soon, it's wearing my patience.
did you ever get it fixed what did you end up doing

Quick Reply: 2005 Neon Auto Shutdown Relay