2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

New Brake shoes squalling LOUD

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:20 PM
keltichiro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Brake shoes squalling LOUD

Hey everyone... I need some help. I would take my car to a shop, but I'm currently out of money, so I took the job onto myself.

Last week my left rear brake shoe fell off inside the drum and locked up my wheel - that sucked.

However, I managed to get the drum off and the old brakes of course. I installed new brake shoes, but when I seat the drum snugly back on, I hear metal on metal scraping when the wheel turns and it's LOUD and obnoxious...I'll also throw in that I haven't done a brake job in 10 years probably, so I might as well say that I've never done brakes. I took photos before I started, so I would get everything back where it was supposed to go, and.... as far as I can tell - everything is where it needs to be...but I could be wrong.

I did have some trouble with the adjuster...I adjusted the star all the way down, but there still seems to be a little slack in the adjuster, even though I can't get it to move in anymore..if that makes sense

What could be causing this?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 PM
keltichiro

I don't know if I should add that everything except the shoes is old...all I could afford were the cheap shoes....I'm using all of the old hardware.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the springs could be in the wrong spot, either the spring itself or the attachment point. IMO, hardware should be replaced every pad/shoe change. It's under $10 for all new hardware.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:44 PM
keltichiro

I guess I need to jack up the other side, pull the wheel and drum off and eyeball those springs for comparison....I thought I got them back where they all went, but I'll also bet money there's one in the wrong spot...I'm just like that ><

Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I say that because the last time I did the rear drums, I couldn't get one side back together for the life of me after 30 minutes. I went and jacked the other side up and took the wheel and tire back off and the drum and noticed I had one spring in the wrong way. I dislike drum brakes, lol.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

wouldn't hurt to have the drum turned since it locked up, I used to never have drums turned but it made a world of difference afterwards on these tiny weak units our neons have. Wouldn't hurt to bleed the 4 brakes if you have a helper to push & hold on the pedal for you

Quick Reply: New Brake shoes squalling LOUD