2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2004 sxt new owner - vibration @ highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:35 PM
mac1183
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 sxt new owner - vibration @ highway speeds

I just bought a 2004 5spd with 188k as a daily commuter knowing it had a few issues needed fixing and maintenance that needs performed.

My list so far:

timing belt (preventative maintenance)
broken front wheel stud
front brake pads
clutch engages with pedal just off the floor
a/c does not work
vibration @ Highway speeds

The car has a good set of nearly new name brands tires on it so I would like to get the vibration addressed and an alignment done before I wear them out.

I jacked the car up and checked out the ball joints and tie rod ends on both sides and they are all solid. No slop or play.

It may need/get struts as well but bad struts do not account for a vibration at highway speeds.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what else I should be checking?

thanks

Mac

Last edited by mac1183; 09-11-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
JoseyWales
Rookie

Originally Posted by mac1183
I just bought a 2004 5spd with 188k as a daily commuter knowing it had a few issues needed fixing and maintenance that needs performed.

My list so far:

timing belt (preventative maintenance)
broken front wheel stud
front brake pads
clutch engages with pedal just off the floor
a/c does not work
vibration @ Highway speeds

The car has a good set of nearly new name brands tires on it so I would like to get the vibration addressed and an alignment done before I wear them out.

I jacked the car up and checked out the ball joints and tie rod ends on both sides and they are all solid. No slop or play.

It may need/get struts as well but bad struts do not account for a vibration at highway speeds.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what else I should be checking?

thanks

Mac
wheres the vibration at? front or rear?..hear some things that can cause it..get the front tires checked and reballanced ..bad axles can go out of ballanced or presser plate out of ballanced..

Last edited by JoseyWales; 09-11-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM
mac1183

Vibration is from the front end. It's in the steering wheel mostly but you can feel it in the chassis of the car as well. the pass. seat will shake/vibrate a bit if no one is in it.

if i have to take down the trans to balance the pressure plate i'll sell the car. i'm not getting into that kind of work.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 PM
JoseyWales
Rookie

Vibration is from the front end. It's in the steering wheel mostly but you can feel it in the chassis of the car as well. the pass. seat will shake/vibrate a bit if no one is in it.

if i have to take down the trans to balance the pressure plate i'll sell the car. i'm not getting into that kind of work.
if you can feel it in your steering wheel.. its one or two things.. get your rims and tires checked..have them put them on a ballencer..you might have a broken belt,or wheel weights are off or not wright or a bent rim.....the other could be bad axle and also check out the right side axle..it might have a carrier bearing..I know on our plymouth breeze does..if it does check to see any play in it..if it does? that would be the proublem,,

Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
mac1183

How would I go about checking the bearing for wear/play? Where is it located?

Thanks

Mac

Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 PM
JoseyWales
Rookie

How would I go about checking the bearing for wear/play? Where is it located?

Thanks

Mac
go under your car ,put in on jack stands first...then go under your car ,,then try to axle back and forth..to see any play..that axle should be on the right side and its the long axle..like Id said,I dont know if it has one..but I know my wifes plymouth breeze has one...while your under your car inspect your axles..see if counter weights came off..see if your axles looks like this one.this is the left axle,,the right might have simmilar weight ....also inspect those CV boots..make sure there not riped..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Driver-CV-Half-Drive-Axle-Shaft-Non-ABS-2000-2005-DODGE-NEON-138A-/150962979913?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3ANeon&hash=item2326184449&vxp=mtr

Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-If it went too long between tire rotations, the rear tires can actually get worn out of round. A couple of guys I know told me that the Neon and other small cars, because of them being so light in the rear end, can do that to the tires. I saw it on my '05 SXT. When I had the tires rotated and balanced, you could actually see the tire was out of round when it was spinning on the balancer. Both rear tires were like that, but the fronts were fine. The one guy told me to get htem rotated at every oil change to prevent it. Didn't cost me a penny because the rotations were free.

L8R,
Matt

Quick Reply: 2004 sxt new owner - vibration @ highway speeds