2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Skim key issues and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:03 AM
mrbrooksmilwaukee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Skim key issues and questions

I am going to tell this story from the beginning and be as thorough as possible so please bare with me....
I have an 2002 dodge neon se....mostly stock.
Had a p0141 code along with a 1684. 1684 came on because I had some work done and the battery was disconnected. Had the timing belt/water pump and tensioner replaced if wondering.
P0141 is downstream oxygen sensor.
I called the dealership to find out if my vehicle was federal or california emissions.
They weren't sure but gave me the mopar part number which I cross referenced.
I changed the sensor with the one purchased.
It started and ran with no cel for about 15 ft and then shut off. Had electrical power but wouldn't even crank....
Tried putting on OE sensor...disconnecting battery and no bueno.
Had it towed....mechanic calls a day later and tells me it's all fixed. Said I bought federal and should have gotten california emissions.
I pay him and he tells me he "reset" the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable with the driver side door open and cycling the key on and off 5 times.
Didn't care what he did as long as my car was fixed.
Next day i'm driving along and the check engine light comes back on....turns out he replaced the wrong O2 sensor....he replaced the upstream.
I go back over and he changes the correct O2 sensor and tells me not to clear the codes and just drive it as they will clear themselves.
A day later i'm driving along and go to accelerate and she dies on me, again.
When I turn the key back and forth it doesn't even show any codes or access the pcm. Also the check engine light isn't coming on right away when I turn it to the on position. It come on about 30 seconds later.
Also is does have the skis/skim system and the light is staying on which is what I believe is preventing it from starting.
I do not have a spare skis key in which to test it.
Could I have somehow damaged it by using the wrong o2 sensor and does anyone know short of having it towed to the dealership how to "reset" the security system on it?
Please can anyone help me? It just snowed here and I have to get my car moved sooner rather than later.....

Quick Reply: Skim key issues and questions