2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Coolant flush?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:07 PM
QDS95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant flush?

Hey guys so I just bought a new 2004 Dodge Neon and would like to do a coolant flush since I do not think it has been done on this vehicle and the mileage is at 113k. My question is, what all do I need?

In the owner's manual it says the coolant capacity is 6.2L. So should I just buy one gallon of coolant and one gallon of distilled water, mix them, and then ration it out to where there is a total of 6.2L?

If this is the case, then I'm assuming I will also need about 2 more gallons of distilled water so that I can flush it before replacing the coolant? Also could someone give me the short run down to the process of doing this. I just want to make sure I do it right! Thanks!

Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Buy a Preston flush kit and pre mixed coolant. Way easier.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:08 AM
QDS95

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Buy a Preston flush kit and pre mixed coolant. Way easier.
Okay I will do that. However, I've been told it is extremely important to use the HOAT Mopar coolant. If my manual says 6.2L, then I'm assuming 1 gallon of coolant and 1 gallon of distilled water will be sufficient? Thanks for the reply

Old 10-06-2016, 03:39 AM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

Yes, the one gallon jug of coolant and a one gallon jug of distilled water will give you enough. It's also cheaper this way than having to buy two jugs of premixed coolant. After refilling the cooling system, you will still have enough to add to your overflow tank. 6.2L equals to approx 1.64 US gallons. Also after using the flush kit, run a couple fills of straight water through the system to help clean everything out. After that last drain, fill with your fresh mix and you're set.

L8R,
Matt

Old 10-08-2016, 07:37 AM
QDS95

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
Yes, the one gallon jug of coolant and a one gallon jug of distilled water will give you enough. It's also cheaper this way than having to buy two jugs of premixed coolant. After refilling the cooling system, you will still have enough to add to your overflow tank. 6.2L equals to approx 1.64 US gallons. Also after using the flush kit, run a couple fills of straight water through the system to help clean everything out. After that last drain, fill with your fresh mix and you're set.

L8R,
Matt
Thank you!!

Old 10-08-2016, 07:54 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if you are going to back flush the system with water do not premix the coolant. Water remaining in the block after the flush will further dilute the concentration. After the flush, add 1/2 of the total system capacity of concentrated coolant and then top off with distilled. filled the reservoir with premixed. run the engine to mix the coolant

Quick Reply: Coolant flush?