2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thoughts? What would you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Purple 92 SS
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kbb.com states in fair condition the truck is worth 3200.00 from a private party, with the options and milage it has.. being a southern USA truck, we dont have much rust usually, so that is a good thing. My co-worker wants 1500.00 for it, and he will finance it without interest for me, for 100. a month. Its a deal i dont think i can just walk away from. The truck would be used as a driver / work round the house type vehicle. not a resto for a show or obviously not an off roader. minor things i'd like to fix as i dont like having beat up hoopties... but decently nice condition vehicles.

I'm surprised really at some of the comments. I've been thinking its a great deal, but now im re-thinking that...

from what ive heard in my car scene around here, dodge is known for transmissions crapping out. theplenum thread, i've gone through and read, an intake manifold doesnt intimidate me, and after having to build a few motors for my camaros i'm confident anything of that nature i could tackle with little issues...

however the tranny does worry me.. Transmissions inherently are expensive, and a pain in the *** to replace. When idrove the truck, it felt strong, no slipping, and no issues. other than burned up fluid is tehre anything i should look for?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Purple 92 SS
Rookie

it appears to be just paint issues, not bondo btw.

Oh and these pics were taken with an IPHONE, so they are horrible. Plus the truck has not been washed in over a year my co-worker stated. the interior obviously hasnt been cleaned in at least that long.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Compare it to other trucks in the same condition in your area. If the price is reasonable, go for it.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Purple 92 SS
Rookie

heres the rub, its either this truck or none, as my co worker is financing it himself (basically letting me pay him 100 a month till i've paid the 1500 off. so there is no shopping around for another one, however, there are tons of them out there for a lot more than this price. everythign im seeing in this area for a comparable dodge ram, 2000-4000. the ones below 2000 are heavily body damaged, non working ac, etc..

so what about my other questions?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think fifteen is just right, if it runs with a/c in my book thats 1500. the price is fair and like you said, no interest.
The downside= mpg. 1800kg takes some fuel, and if you are a camaro guy you might have a heavy foot.
I say get it and welcome to truck ownership, please empty your wallet into the gas tank.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Purple 92 SS
Rookie

hehe yea i know it may be a bit thirsty. Id use it round the house mostly for things round the house. i failed to mention my co-worker is 71, and drove this truck to Indianapolis from Central SC last year and back with no issues. lol

Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Purple 92 SS
hehe yea i know it may be a bit thirsty. Id use it round the house mostly for things round the house. i failed to mention my co-worker is 71, and drove this truck to Indianapolis from Central SC last year and back with no issues. lol
Its right, and I am thinking he is going to start throwing all kinds of stuff your way. " oh, I bought this but never put it on, and this here Chiltons you'll need that, you want a cup of coffee , I can't get down there but bring it over we will have a look...."
Man, I spent some really good times when I was young learning from an older wrencher.
I think some guys are just jealous of a good deal.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 PM
SilverSS
Captain

$1500 isn't bad IMO. I'd get it. Make sure to delete the trans check valve and adjust the bands also.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Purple 92 SS
Rookie

im probably going to pull the trigger. i need a good house truck, and somethign that can pull a trailer with a camaro on it for track days and the like. since i own 3 2door cars, and a 4 door car, the truck is a natural add.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$100 a month cant go wrong, id grab it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts? What would you pay?