2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2014 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
One of my clients has as their most critical application a thing written in COBOL. It's still actively maintained by the vendor, even. At least they finally got around to retiring the SCO Unix server on which it used to run.

1978 was a good year if you ignore disco. My wife and I met in '78 and our eldest was born in '80.

Jeebusssss. I remember when SCO Unix was da bomb for running a server.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Jeebusssss. I remember when SCO Unix was da bomb for running a server.
I never used SCO Unix but I did use SCO Caldera OpenLinux.... If any one remembers that one.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

We had a blizzard back in 78.... City of Adrian was shut down completely for two weeks. No one could get there..... Schools were closed for three. I think we got about four feet of snow, with high winds, in about 8 hours.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:26 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
We had a blizzard back in 78.... City of Adrian was shut down completely for two weeks. No one could get there..... Schools were closed for three. I think we got about four feet of snow, with high winds, in about 8 hours.
New England got hit harder than that from that same blizzard. From what I've heard it was pretty terrible for weeks! Boston was completely shut down for quite awhile.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
New England got hit harder than that from that same blizzard. From what I've heard it was pretty terrible for weeks! Boston was completely shut down for quite awhile.
Yeah, it seems that if you go a bit further east, the storms are always worse. Just recently, when Buffalo got buried, we had maybe an inch on the ground. That was it....

Today though, better have a tether to something HEAVY, as the wind is CRANKIN' out there.... (gusts to 60+ mph......)

Old 11-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Jigabop
Champion

So I retired my computer from the HTPC role and got a ROKU 3 over the weekend.

snappy little box!

I threw plex server on my NAS and the plex app on the roku...no more need for media center or a HTPC at all. plex plays all my media (movies, tv shows, etc) right from the server in 1080p 5.1 surround and organizes it and gives full details just like netflix would... pretty sweet app.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:36 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Yeah, it seems that if you go a bit further east, the storms are always worse. Just recently, when Buffalo got buried, we had maybe an inch on the ground. That was it....

Today though, better have a tether to something HEAVY, as the wind is CRANKIN' out there.... (gusts to 60+ mph......)
Its 63° right now, and its gonna get colder quick come tomorrow. Nice light breeze currently, but come Wednesday we're gonna get nailed. Got a nor'easter comin up. Supposed to get anywhere from 4, to as much as 24" come thanksgiving morning.

For anyone that doesn't know, New England does indeed get hurricanes, every single year, numerous times a year.

They're called nor'easters.. Fun stuff! Usually get wicked amounts of wind, and plenty of snow to go along with it!

Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Well the new farm needs a new indoor wood furnace. Old one is beyond repair...

Ugh...

And I'm trying to figure out generators too... Haha

Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I Survived the Blizzard of '78

Remember those sweatshirts from that storm?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:56 PM
tired old man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a lot of cool T shirts. That was in the pile along with many more.

Back when Mt. St Helens blew up my younger sister and her husband had gone out there for jobs. They sent me a T shirt with burn holes allover it that said I Skied Mt St Helens.

From about the time I reached puberty and developed facial hair I have pretty much had a full beard. one summer I had a job where I had to wear a respirator this meant I had to shave enough of my face to get a good seal with the darn thing. So naturally I had a big mustache.

She sent me one T shirt that said Free mustache rides {fat girls need not apply}

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread