2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Help me pick a color

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the color choice!! Can't to wait to see it armynurse!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:24 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I like the color choice!! Can't to wait to see it armynurse!
Thanks! I'm really hoping I like it as much as I liked the color on the Corvette. They've got the truck about 97% prepped for painting (I drove by there today). For all I know they might spray it today. They told me figure about three weeks, and it hasn't been three weeks yet. I told them to take their time to do it right (t's not my daily driver). Of course, they don't get paid till it's done, so they have an incentive to get it finished.

Once it's painted, I have to wait about three weeks to put the new molding on (paint needs to fully cure) and put the topper back on. I want to do some minor stuff like replace the tailgate cables, and put a Timbren system on the rear.

I'll be sure and post pictures once I get it home.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:06 PM
tot64
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was to repaint, I would probably go with the forest green. But im sure yours looks really good. I like the dark grey as well. Whats the Timbren system?

Old 10-29-2014, 04:44 PM
armynurse
Veteran

They're thinking the truck will be sprayed later today or tomorrow. It's been kinda fun watching the process from start to finish.

Name:  Truckbeforepaint1_zpsacd46d24.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  Truckbeforepaint2_zps72d3f31f.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  68.6 KB

The Timbren system is like a non-airbag oversized bumpstop thing for the truck's rear end to help when the truck is heavily loaded. I'll try and find a link.

(edit) And here it is: http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Susp...eid=1996306067

This is for a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 2" lift; of course they sell them for trucks without a lift. They also have them for the front. I just want something to help when loaded without having to deal with inflating stuff.

Last edited by armynurse; 10-29-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the timbren system. Love it. Bolt it on and forget it.

Best part is doesn't effect ride unloaded like a add a leaf would.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I have the timbren system. Love it. Bolt it on and forget it.

Best part is doesn't effect ride unloaded like a add a leaf would.
That's good to hear.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:51 PM
armynurse
Veteran

I went and looked at it today; it looks nice! Definitely darker than before, which is what I wanted (but not too dark). It's still in the spray booth, and they're putting it back together. It's been fun watching the process. Hopefully I'll get to take it home sometime this week. I'd rather they keep it a few extra days to take their time and get it all done right.
Right now since I've got the back bumper off I removed the framework so all that's left is the chrome shell. It was rusting on the backside of the bumper shell. I had painted the backside once before; now I'm stripping it of paint, then I'll put some rust remover on it to get it as clean as I can, then I'll paint it again with some Rustoleum silver metallic paint. Fortunately the rust on the backside hasn't started showing on the outside; we'll see how long I can keep that going before it starts showing and I have to replace the rear bumper shell. That or time for a HD rear bumper upgrade?
With the factory bumper they did a good job of chroming the outside, but they put a thin layer of chrome on the backside (hence the rusting). Years ago I cleaned it up and painted it, but the rust has come back with a vengeance.

Here's a picture of the driver's side; it doesn't look too bad if you weren't looking at it real close.

Name:  Bumperrust_zps6d0b8cf7.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  151.2 KB

But then you strip the paint that was on there, and put the rust remover down, and this is what it starts looking like:

Name:  Bumperrust2_zps6d6a1c7e.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  44.8 KB

Right now I've got a good coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer on it; in a few days I'll put some Rustoleum silver metallic paint down.

Last edited by armynurse; 11-03-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:24 PM
armynurse
Veteran

So today I painted the inside/backside of the truck's rear bumper with some bright silver Rustoleum spray paint. I also painted the bumper bracketry black. It looks better than it did.

I have a feeling I'll be wanting to paint the 2" receiver hitch before I put the bumper back on. It's nothing that a few coats of gloss black paint can't make look better.

Name:  Bumperbrackets3_zpsf85b2413.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  85.4 KB

Last edited by armynurse; 11-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:54 PM
armynurse
Veteran

So they've pretty much got it all painted. They need to get rid of a paint run under the rear window, then get it cleaned up. Here's what it looked like before paint:

Name:  Trucktires_zps3ff42a5e.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  123.4 KB

And here's what it looks like now:

Name:  truckpainted2_zps7cfcd700.jpg
Views: 3469
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  truckpainted1_zpsa51564bb.jpg
Views: 2911
Size:  101.1 KB

It's a little darker than I would have liked (I think) but I'm liking it (2015 Corvette Shark Grey metalic). Next week we should be able to put the (new) side molding back on, emblems, new decals on the tailgate, and the topper back in place. Once I get it home I'll put the back bumper back on. So what do you think?

I'm wondering if maybe I can get the front bumper plastic fascia painted to match?

Last edited by armynurse; 11-13-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: minor editing
Old 11-13-2014, 04:31 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They can paint the fascia, it would look a lot nicer up front. Ever thought about leaving the emblems and moldings off? It looks super clean as is.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a color