2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.2 vacuum line on intake disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Either that, or you have a pretty good leak....... which is most likely the evaporator core, since it is the hardest piece to get to. (murphy's law, and all that. )

Old 08-01-2015, 07:09 PM
jayz55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, just a **** on top, turn it clockwise and it punctured the can, then counterclockwise to open it.. It has a gauge for the low side.. Its reading 15 psi, and once I jump the accumulator, it goes down to zero.. Also, I can smell, I take refrigerant, coming from the vents.. The compressor stays on jumping it, but the air isn't getting cold.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Because you have a leak. 15 PSI is way too low..... (unless it was maybe 50 degrees outside.....) You can add more refrigerant, but, same thing is going to happen again. It's all gonna leak out. Given that you can smell it coming out the vents, that's a pretty sure sign the evaporator core is your culprit.

You can drop the heater fan, and look up in the hole, and see one side of the evap core. If your refrigerant has dye in it, should be able to shine a UV light up there, and see if it's leaking. If you see oil all over it, then you won't need to light to know its leaking.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Look at the water drain on the lower firewall, If you see oil coming out it's defiantly the evaporator core.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 AM
jayz55

Im thinking it is definitely the evaporator core.. I tried down loading the fsm, but one page needed to log in, and another I couldn't open the file I downloaded.. Any links? And will that help me tackle the evaporator core project if I decide to tackle it? I'm assuming a new heater core is worth it to do while I'm there, because with my luck, and Murphys law, my ac will work, right up til it's December n I won't have heat lol

Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Definitely do the heater core while you are in there.

The thread here should be direct links to the various manuals...... it should open in Adobe Acrobat Reader, and once completely downloaded, you should be able to save it locally.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:57 AM
jayz55

Thank you. As always, it's much appreciated.. I took a peak at heater core and evap core prices n I was pretty surprised. Some are as low as 48 dollars, up too over a hundred.. Is there a certain brand I should go with, or parts I should make sure comes with it? I know it's a good size job, and it's time consuming, so I want to make sure once it's all apart, I have everything I need, and it all fits easily and works properly. I also know im gonna need a whole lot of r 134a, and antifreeze, once the parts are in. So it would be nice to get the right part for the lowest cost.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Go for a heater core that is solid brass/copper, and DOESN'T have the 'hinged' inlet/outlet tubes. All aluminum is the next choice. I think the evap core is going to be aluminum, regardless...... No clue on what are 'good' brands though. I haven't had to deal with this yet.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I got both replacements from napa. The heater core(oem style) failed about two years later. The evaporator is still working fine. I then replaced it with the aluminum one with the swivels(witch i modded because they have been know to leak). Since you have to remove the box anyway get the aluminum one with out the swivels. If you have the money get them from both from Chrysler to be sure there wont be a problem down the road. Unfortunately the aftermarket drops the ball sometimes.

Quick Reply: 5.2 vacuum line on intake disconnected