2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Replacement Truck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice looking truck. I hope you get the bugs figured out. We've got a V10 in our Ford Excursion, we love it. Once winter is over it gets in the double digits MPG. Likes longer trips, 13-14 MPG. It has the Banks power pack on it. No tuner yet though. It made enough difference that you could feel it. I hope your new truck treats you good!

Old 02-18-2017, 12:21 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice find ....I agree with a good idea to get a replacement crank sensor. I've ordered them through a few places that say they have original mopar part, but a day after you order, they notify you saying they don't have them. I finally had luck on Ebay under 56027864 (I think Standard makes it).

That reminds me I have some door work to do too.

Last edited by racefan41; 02-18-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Headlights, new bulbs, heavy duty harness, and TPS are in. Battery is still out, and debating on whether I really wanna do the thermostat tomorrow.... Probably will... I have the alternator, and a/c compressor out of the way, just not looking forward to the mess coolant invariably makes.... I DO want better heat though.

Discovered that the battery clamp wasn't in there, as one of the spots where the spring nut is supposed to clip, is broken off. Which means I may need to replace the battery tray.... (anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks on ebay.....) I am considering trying to use a toggle nut on that one.... I think there is enough room, and, it isn't like I take the battery out regularly. (I don't think I have ever taken the battery out of the 96, after it was replaced....) Other alternative is take the tray out, and manufacture something for the spring nut to hold on to..... not sure which direction this is going to take yet.. I think getting the tray out of the truck is going to be interesting. Couple of the nuts are REALLY rusted in place, and, it's plastic, so, the hot wrench just isn't an option. (If I want to re-use it.....)

Old 02-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
You could just post it around here somewhere next time. Wildman can take the northwest, I'll take the southwest. I'm sure we could find a few people to cover other areas.
I can cover Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. We don't have Rocker Moths down here.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Next time I buy a truck, it's gonna be FUN!

Would be a neat little vacation for the wife and I.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, got the thermostat done, truck all buttoned up, coolant topped off, etc. I can already see that my unstable idle problem has been solved. Haven't driven it yet to see if the TCC is better. Gonna go catch some dinner soon, will take the truck, and see what happens.

Also discovered that the temp gauge in the truck LIES! Computer said 190. (conveniently enough, the temp of the new stat that I put in.....) Gauge wasn't even close to the 210 mark. About half-way between the "normal range" lower mark, and 210. Different from my 96, but, hey, it's new, it works, I am happy. Heater will now burn you out of the truck.

Need to replace the serpentine belt though. Noticed it was pretty worn, so, will pick one up monday after work, keep the old one as a spare.

I seem to be getting right about 10 miles per gallon... Which is about what I expected, and not really that much worse than the 5.9 in the 96. That averaged around 12 with my driving. I would like to see the 8.0 do better, but, I am not going to hold my breath.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just got back from town. The TCC bounce is gone. Headlights are aimed, bumper is tightened back up. (had to lower it some to swap out the headlights.) Lighten is DRAMATICALLY improved. Given all the new parts I just threw at it, I am fairly well pleased with the results. Next, I need to address the yellowed fog light lenses, and fix the one that doesn't work at all.

Suggestions?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

3M headlight restoration kit and finish off with clear coat. I've done mine twice and both times with great results, but the first didn't last so the second time I used a can of clear coat and that was in 2013. Just be sure to charge your drill batteries. I always seem to forget!

And your gauge is not lying. It's not an even range between far left and right. 140 210 260 means the first 'half' is 70 degrees and the second is only 50. If it runs between the second mark and 210 you've got 190 degrees. 195 runs just under the 210 and 180 runs a third above the second mark. Hard to explain, but from what you described, it sounds normal!

Last edited by Ramman18; 02-20-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, got the thermostat done, truck all buttoned up, coolant topped off, etc. I can already see that my unstable idle problem has been solved. Haven't driven it yet to see if the TCC is better. Gonna go catch some dinner soon, will take the truck, and see what happens.

Also discovered that the temp gauge in the truck LIES! Computer said 190. (conveniently enough, the temp of the new stat that I put in.....) Gauge wasn't even close to the 210 mark. About half-way between the "normal range" lower mark, and 210. Different from my 96, but, hey, it's new, it works, I am happy. Heater will now burn you out of the truck.

Need to replace the serpentine belt though. Noticed it was pretty worn, so, will pick one up monday after work, keep the old one as a spare.

I seem to be getting right about 10 miles per gallon... Which is about what I expected, and not really that much worse than the 5.9 in the 96. That averaged around 12 with my driving. I would like to see the 8.0 do better, but, I am not going to hold my breath.
Good to hear it went in ok and working right. I gotta know , Did you end up leaving the old seal that gets pressed into the manifold? Also curious if your gauge read different from before and after (if you swapped it with the same temp stat?) I put a temp gun to my housing a couple weeks ago, and was getting 188 (190 stat), and then tested it again yesterday and was getting 176. I don't see much difference in my gauge, but I don't know if that's enough of a swing that would show in noticeable way, anyways.

Good to hear you got heat too. I'm pretty sure I need to get a new core.

Also sounds like that thing is pretty tuned if you're getting 10 mpg.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:00 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by Ramman18
3M headlight restoration kit and finish off with clear coat. I've done mine twice and both times with great results, but the first didn't last so the second time I used a can of clear coat and that was in 2013. Just be sure to charge your drill batteries. I always seem to forget!

And your gauge is not lying. It's not an even range between far left and right. 140 210 260 means the first 'half' is 70 degrees and the second is only 50. If it runs between the second mark and 210 you've got 190 degrees. 195 runs just under the 210 and 180 runs a third above the second mark. Hard to explain, but from what you described, it sounds normal!
Thanks for explaining this, I've always wondered if it wasn't equal all the way through.