2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
jshaw23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans question

Today i decided to change the fluid, filter, and speed sensor to fix my shifting problem. The original problem was that every now and then my transmission did not want to shift from first to second. After dropping the pan i found quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnet and a piece of metal about 2 and 1/2 inches long and slightly curved aswell. Continued on against my better judgment and finished up. My original problem has not come back but now it seems that if im moving between 5-10 mph that it is slipping in and out of first gear but once i give it some gas im good. It shifts through all gears fine so far. What do yall think.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're trans. is due for a rebuild. Sounds like a band strut has dropped only they're supposed to be flat. The metal shavings could be from the TC and/or lack of friction material on the band, eating up the clutch drum
Post a photo of that piece of metal if you can.

Last edited by Arde; 12-24-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: trans question